Can i bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my pale ale has been fermenting since Jan 23. I just timed about one minute fifteen seconds between bubbles on my airlock, this was my first batch and I didn't have a hydrometer at the time. It's fairly important that I bottle asap. Is that an option today? Please get back to me as I have made arrangements to do so tonight.

A hydrometer reading is the ONLY way to tell if your beer is done fermenting.

With that said, you have had the beer fermenting for just under 3 weeks now which is right at the low end of when you should bottle. I would say you should wait another week but if you have to bottle it tonight then I say you will be ok.

You should then not pop one open for another three weeks to let the beer condition in the bottle.

So do I need to wait until the bubbles have completely stopped for three days? The bubbling rate has been the same for about 3 days...

No. You presumably have a hydrometer now, since you said "I didn't have a hydrometer at the time". You should use it. Bubbles mean nothing.

So do I need to wait until the bubbles have completely stopped for three days? The bubbling rate has been the same for about 3 days...

Bubbles mean the yeast is letting out CO2 which is a good sign but you CANNOT use bubbling as any kind of indicator.

The only way to tell if your beer is done fermenting is by taking a steading hydrometer readying for 2 to 3 days straight.

Wow. I feel like a noob. Without a gravity reading, would you personally bottle at this point?

You definitely should do a lot of reading on this forum. I am on this forum at least 2 hours a day or more (which includes using the app on my phone). That is the only way you will learn, read read read. Buy books, magazines, read every post you see.

Without taking a gravity reading, I would buy a hydrometer :D I'm very surprised the place you bought your kit from didn't tell you to buy one.

Honestly, you should be able to bottle it but you really don't know unless you take readings. Without knowing everything about your batch, we can't tell anything. Maybe the temp was down too low or too high and the yeast stayed dormant for a period of time and is now eating again which would mean you shouldn't bottle.

Wow. I feel like a noob. Without a gravity reading, would you personally bottle at this point?

When I brew, I know that I'm pitching a proper amount of yeast and holding it at the correct fermentation temperature. That means that 19 times out of 20, it finishes out within a point or two of my expected gravity within two weeks.

Even so, I always take a gravity reading before I bottle. I really can't recommend bottling without doing so- it's a good practice, it can save you bottle-bomb headaches, and it can save you beer.

It's not wort any longer, it's beer. :D
You probably just took a big whiff of CO2 which really isn't all that pleasant.

If you don't know your gravity it would be a good idea to wait. If for some reason you just can't wait, it is up to you if you want to take the chance. Your odds are pretty good that your beer is finished but I would put the bottles in a container just in case.

Oh yea, buy an hydrometer.

You are probably fine if it has been fementing warm enough. If it went fermented for two weeks at like 36 degrees with ale yeast it probably isnt done. If you were within the recommended temp for two weeks i'd imagine that you'd be fine.

Disclaimer-You really should check the gravity for 3 days blah blah blah.

If you're in that kinda rush just do it. But most of your bottles will probably explode and you'll be forced to mop up the 5 gallons of work you put into that precious beer.

hotrodtrash said:
If you're in that kinda rush just do it. But most of your bottles will probably explode and you'll be forced to mop up the 5 gallons of work you put into that precious beer.

It has been fermenting for a day short of 3 weeks. Unless the temp was out if the yeast range or there is some kind of weird infection, his bottles will not explode. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a hydrometer reading but it isn't like it has been fermenting for 6 days.

Without taking a reading, you can't be 100% sure but after 3 weeks with a good steady fermentation, you will not have bottle bombs.

Back