Can I bottle while still bubbling ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ritsuko Akagi

Reaction score
I have a small batch of cider I was going to bottle today but I noticed there is still some bubbles. Looks like a carbonated soda. I took a gravity reading and it is at 1.000 maybe 1.002. So it should be done right? Is is safe to bottle ? do I still use the normal amount of priming sugar ? I would wait a day or so but it is much more convent for me to bottle today.

"It depends" is the best answer I can give. It depends on the yeast strain you used, and whether fermentation is finished. Some yeast strains will take a cider to .990- which would give you bottle bombs. Some stop at 1.004- which you are already below.
The idea is to take readings at least three days apart to see if the SG continues to drop. If it doesn't, it's done. If it does, it isn't. So it really depends on what the SG was three days ago, if you were going to decide if it's done or not.

I have a small batch of cider I was going to bottle today but I noticed there is still some bubbles.
I would wait a day or so but it is much more convent for me to bottle today.
Cider isn't beer, and although it may be convenient to bottle it immediately after fermentation, that isn't the best thing to do. If you wait a few months, it will age and clear on its own. You may find that there is no need to bottle and carbonate it.
You may not like the taste and may prefer to blend it with something else. Or perhaps you'll like it as it is.

Cider isn't beer, and although it may be convenient to bottle it immediately after fermentation, that isn't the best thing to do. If you wait a few months, it will age and clear on its own. You may find that there is no need to bottle and carbonate it.
You may not like the taste and may prefer to blend it with something else. Or perhaps you'll like it as it is.
Is there a "limit" to how long it can stay in the primary fermenter? I don't necessarily want carbonation (although this is my first attempt so I may feel differently when all is said and done). I've had it in the primary for about two weeks at this point and it is still cloudy but has stopped actively pushing CO2 though the airlock. I haven't tested the SG yet...

Latest posts

Back