Can i bottle my beer in plastic Tupperware bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themysticmac

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very new to art of brewing. It's in fact my first time. I have a Mr beer American pale ale fermenting for about 7 days. I'm just a little concerned that if i bottle it in the Tupperware bottles it won't carbonate properly?
And also how many carbonation drops should i add in a 1 litre bottles?

Thanks,
Themysticmac

Thank you very much! How many carbonation drops would you recommend for 1 litre bottles if i decide to bottle them in club soda bottles?
Thanks
I would worry more about the pressure they can hold. I use 1 liter club soda or ginger ale bottles. You can find them at the store for less than a dollar. You can purchase reusable screw caps online.

ever think bout 500ml mason jars? Although clear, if you store them in a dark place, they should be fine with pressure, easy to sterilize and very easy to reuse... plus no capping.

ever think bout 500ml mason jars? Although clear, if you store them in a dark place, they should be fine with pressure, easy to sterilize and very easy to reuse... plus no capping.

Have you tried this? I ask because mason jars are designed to hold a vacuum seal, not a pressure seal, so I wouldn't think it would be a viable option. I use them to store yeast and have noticed that if a little pressure builds, it can be difficult to remove the rings.

Have you tried this? I ask because mason jars are designed to hold a vacuum seal, not a pressure seal, so I wouldn't think it would be a viable option. I use them to store yeast and have noticed that if a little pressure builds, it can be difficult to remove the rings.

i experience the same thing with harvested yeast. i'd suggest hearing from someone who's successfully done this. i'm a little skeptical using them to bottle condition beer.

I use 500mL soda bottles for half my batches since I haven't collected enough glass yet. Soak them in bleach water then rinse really well the first time. I didn't take that step once and the Dr. Pepper bottles noticeably changed the beer flavor.

Not yet and I have no reason too as I have a bunch of bottles... with that said everyone says the are for a vacuum seal pressure and not outward pressure. Since I wanted to do it at one point I did a lot of reading and research to find not one experience of an exploding jar. The worse case was the lid creased. They are not ideal as you need to keep dark until you want to drink thing, and yeah they can crease from the pressure but how many people have experienced just as much failure with bottles? breakage during capping? etc.
So I asked a pro... my grandma lol. She said my grandfather use to put his beer in mason jars. The odd time he'd double up the lid centers but he never had any real issue or my grandma would have roasted him when it came time for jam season.

Not yet and I have no reason too as I have a bunch of bottles... with that said everyone says the are for a vacuum seal pressure and not outward pressure. Since I wanted to do it at one point I did a lot of reading and research to find not one experience of an exploding jar. The worse case was the lid creased. They are not ideal as you need to keep dark until you want to drink thing, and yeah they can crease from the pressure but how many people have experienced just as much failure with bottles? breakage during capping? etc.
So I asked a pro... my grandma lol. She said my grandfather use to put his beer in mason jars. The odd time he'd double up the lid centers but he never had any real issue or my grandma would have roasted him when it came time for jam season.

I'd be less concerned about exploding jars and more concerned with the lids not holding a seal as the pressure increases or possibly not being able to get the rings off. Sounds like grandma has some first hand experience, however, that contradicts that. Interesting.

I've used soda bottles in a pinch, came out fine and same carb as the grolsch bottles I use. Used those up first, don't like to age in plastic anything.

Back