Can I boil the my oxygenation stone with....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
My system came with a sanitary air filter and after the filter it has black polyethylene hose and at the end is the ss stone. I don't want to handle the stone and cant get the black hose off the filter or stone.

BTW it uses those small oxygen tanks you get from any hardware store.

So, can I boil the my oxygenation stone while it is attached to the black polyethylene hose? I was also just thinking to toss it into starsan for 30 minutes or so. I always have a bucket made up during my brew day.

Any help, input is very appreciated :mug:

The heat might melt the hose, I have used just Star San and have had no problems. I also boil mine but mine is on a S.S. wand. I would run O2 run through it while under the star san so foam could get in the nooks and crannies.

Cut off the propylene hose and get some silicone aquarium tubing. Wrap the stone in plastic wrap and a piece of tape so you can handle it.

B

My system came with a sanitary air filter and after the filter it has black polyethylene hose and at the end is the ss stone. I don't want to handle the stone and cant get the black hose off the filter or stone.

BTW it uses those small oxygen tanks you get from any hardware store.

So, can I boil the my oxygenation stone while it is attached to the black polyethylene hose? I was also just thinking to toss it into starsan for 30 minutes or so. I always have a bucket made up during my brew day.

Any help, input is very appreciated :mug:

I got this same set-up for Christmas and have the exact same question. The black polyethylene hose seems impossible to pull off the stone unless I get out the vise grips or pliers, but I don't want to damage the stone. I used it last night and just soaked the stone and black tubing in Star San, but would feel better boiling the stone as directed. What's the purpose of the polyethylene tubing in the first place?

Can the polyethylene tubing be boiled with the stone or should I just get rid of it and attach more clear 3/16" tubing like what's on before the filter?

Would love to get a few more responses than last time.

Thanks much!

On my aquarium pump aerator, I cut the tubing off the stone, then attached a short (about 1.5 inch) piece of 3/8 ID silicon tubing to the stone with a stainless steel hose clamp. I attached a long straight piece of clear racking cane (curved part cut off) to the other end of this silicon tubing, also with a stainless steel hose clamp. The other end of the racking cane was attached to the original clear vinyl tubing from the pump. Now all I have to do to sanitize the stone is remove the silicone tubing and stone assembly from the racking cane and boil it. After boiling, I remove the stone assembly from the hot water with tongs and place it on a sanitized saucer to cool for a couple of minutes, then sanitize the cane and reattach the silicone tubing/stone assembly to the cane. No need to touch the stone, only the silicone tubing. I plan to do the same with my new oxygen setup, too.

Latest posts

Back