Can i add yeast a couple of days after brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetski33

Reaction score
Could i brew a batch of Belgian Dubbel and add the yeast to my carboy a couple of days later? The yeast is a smack pack Wyeast 1214 Belgian abbey. I smacked it but it is slow to rise after 3 hours. The last and only time i have used a liquid smack pack i added the yeast after 5 hours and the pack rose only a fraction. I thought it was dead because after 4 days no visible fermentation but lo and behold i had a very active fermentation begin at 5 days!! I just wanted to get the batch ready on a Sunday and add the yeast after getting home from work on Monday or Tuesday. Its just too long too brew when you dont get home till 6:00 at tonite and head to bed at 9. Or is this just stupid to try that?

Could i brew a batch of Belgian Dubbel and add the yeast to my carboy a couple of days later? The yeast is a smack pack Wyeast 1214 Belgian abbey. I smacked it but it is slow to rise after 3 hours. The last and only time i have used a liquid smack pack i added the yeast after 5 hours and the pack rose only a fraction. I thought it was dead because after 4 days no visible fermentation but lo and behold i had a very active fermentation begin at 5 days!! I just wanted to get the batch ready on a Sunday and add the yeast after getting home from work on Monday or Tuesday. Its just too long too brew when you dont get home till 6:00 at tonite and head to bed at 9. Or is this just stupid to try that?

You do not need to have the smack packs swell before pitching. The swelling of the pack is just to indicate all the yeast is not dead.

A Dubbel will require that you make a starter with only one smack pack of yeast. Use this calculator to determine the size of your starter according to the method you use, stir plate or intermittent shaking. You can use any container that can be sanitized to make your starter in. Using a stir plate the container should have a fairly flat bottom to hold the spinning stir bar. For shaken starters I use a large pickle jar.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Definitely okay to pitch the yeast later as long as your conditions are sanitary. Technique is also called "no chill brewing".

How did your batch turn out? I recently purchased the La Petite Orange, Belgian dubbel from Northern Brewer (I think you're brewing the same beer!?). My Wyeast 1214 Belgian abbey hardly rose at all? I called northern brewer and they sent another smack pack.
If anyone else could also help out, I was wondering if I could still pitch the original yeast pack with the new and not worry about a starter?
Trying to revive an old thread instead of making a new one..

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

when the gravity is 1.062 and the recommendation from the manufacturer is to make a starter, I'd be more worried about not making a starter. It's easy to do.

The Petite est OG is 1.052. I'm not seeing where it says to make a starter in the instructions. I agree starters are easy. But I'm beginning to think I preemptively had Northern Brewer send me another smack pack. I've been searching for information to find out if the original yeast packet is still good. In which case if the original is still viable can I pitch it also? As Belgian Abbey is a "notorious slow starter" yeast, I could pitch two packets and have the same effect as a starter while avoiding making another trip to my LHBS for dme (which is a complete inconvenience for me, poor hrs, other side of town, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

^That is what I am thinking. I don't have the second packet yet. I used the calculator from earlier in the thread(same thing) and my results were 55 billion viable cells. the date was March 4th or around that. So, according to that I will need a starter, OR two packets of the same date or newer. Since I already have another packet coming of the same yeast why make a starter and run the risk of contamination.

I will wait until I get the second packet. I keep going back to the calculator and according to what it populates I will need 182 bill. cells. I will have to calculate the second packet. Damn waiting games!

Back