can forgetting to stir the priming sugar into the beer lead to bottle explosion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boulderlund

Reaction score
Like several before me, I forgot to stir the priming sugar solution into the beer once I racked on top of it. I did follow the standard protocol up to that point (5 oz of corn sugar in 2 cups of water, boiled for 5 minutes, placed in the bottom of the bottling bucket, with beer racked on top of it). I searched the forum and it seems like the consensus is that the swirling motion of the beer as it enters the bucket from the siphon hose should mix the sugar well enough. I did not see much discussion regarding the danger of bottle explosion if the sugar did not mix, however. I think I could live with uneven carbonation, but I would rather not have a case of live gernades in my basement! I saw one post where the author uncapped all of the suspect beer, poured it back into the bottling bucket, stirred, and rebottled. I could do this too if it would reduce the risk of bottle explosion. Anyone have an opinion on this?

It's possible. I've had a few batches where some bottles were over-carbed and a couple exploded while others were almost flat. If you racked onto the solution, I'd say the risk is minimal as that's actually the recommended method (versus stirring which could lead to more oxidation risk). If you take 2-3 randomly and refrigerate them for a day or two, sample them, and they're well-carbed, I wouldn't worry anymore.

In my bad batches, I had quite a few gushers, so I could have gone overboard on priming sugar anyway. Lots of variables. Kegging is easier. ;)

I always boil my corn sugar and cool(5 oz might be a bit much), add to the bottling bucket and siphon beer on top. Never have stirred it but the consistently carbed bottles make me think there's no need.

I have made this mistake and lived to tell the tale, no bombs but definitely some unevenness. I have switched to Domino Dots for this reason. I like having the visual verification of a cube going into every bottle. Also, if I forget one bottle, the consequences are much less drastic than if I screw up an entire batch.

I've done about 8 batches so far, all primed with sugar in the bucket and racked on top letting the beer spiral around the bucket. I've had mostly consistent carbonation in my bottles with the occasional one somewhat flat and the occasional one a bit more lively. Just this weekend I had my first real gusher. Probably lost 8oz of a 12oz bottle onto the floor and into the sink. It made me also think about going the route of gently stirring in the future, though I also took delivery of a keg, cylinder, and lines last week so hopefully not much more bottling in my future...

I've done it without stirring, and carbonation is pretty consistent - but some variation as others have said. According to Palmer (http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/a-crash-course-in-brewing/bottling-day) "put the end of the siphon under the surface of the beer as it fills. The swirling motion of the beer as it enters the bucket will be sufficient to evenly mix the priming solution into the beer without aeration." You should have the tube discharging into the bottom of the bucket, horizontally, on a tangent, to get a good swirl. I've gone back to stirring a few times to be on the safe side.

I have switched to Domino Dots for this reason...

A bit off topic but: do you have any residue left over from the cube after carbonation? I only used carb drops once (Munton's, IIRC) and there were floaters in every bottle. No consistency or off-taste, but just seeing them running around in the glass really ruined the batch for me. I swore I'd never use non-pre-dissolved sugars again. BUT, if the Dots work AND do dissolve completely...

:mug:

A bit off topic but: do you have any residue left over from the cube after carbonation? I only used carb drops once (Munton's, IIRC) and there were floaters in every bottle. No consistency or off-taste, but just seeing them running around in the glass really ruined the batch for me. I swore I'd never use non-pre-dissolved sugars again. BUT, if the Dots work AND do dissolve completely...

I haven't noticed anything.

Like several before me, I forgot to stir the priming sugar solution into the beer once I racked on top of it. I did follow the standard protocol up to that point (5 oz of corn sugar in 2 cups of water, boiled for 5 minutes, placed in the bottom of the bottling bucket, with beer racked on top of it). I searched the forum and it seems like the consensus is that the swirling motion of the beer as it enters the bucket from the siphon hose should mix the sugar well enough. I did not see much discussion regarding the danger of bottle explosion if the sugar did not mix, however. I think I could live with uneven carbonation, but I would rather not have a case of live gernades in my basement! I saw one post where the author uncapped all of the suspect beer, poured it back into the bottling bucket, stirred, and rebottled. I could do this too if it would reduce the risk of bottle explosion. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Yes.
I usually stir again after every 6 bottles as well. The sugar solution is denser and will settle to the bottom.

I've used sugar cubes when bottling my 16oz swing tops and never noticed any residue from them. Just the yeast that settles on the bottom of the bottle.

Back