Can draft lines be split to multiple faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingErik

Reaction score
Okay, I searched the forums and could find nothing related, so here goes my first post (virgin!).

This question is likely to be best answered by someone with experience in commercial draft installation, I suspect.

My ultimate goal is to have the keg cooler in the garage, with a glycol-cooled trunk line to deliver the beer to a basement bar. I'd like to still have a couple of beer faucets in my ground-floor kitchen (straight through the wall from the garage cooler), so my question is this: Is it possible to install some sort of Y-connector in the cooler from a keg to feed both the kitchen and the basement from the same keg? Or am I stuck with having different kegs being accessed from the faucets?

Also, even if it is technically possible, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of that may help me make my decision?

I've built none of it yet. I'm still in the planning stages. I've settled on the garage cooler and basement bar design simply because getting kegs into the basement will be a pain, as the only access is through the interior stairwell (okay to carry a corny, but not so fun when I get commercial kegs!).

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

I believe your looking for something like this in the picture. that is my Y splitter that I use to run separate lines. If i remember right I think I got this from MicroMatic but I'm sure its probably a fairly common piece and can be found at most places. Hope this helps.https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Photo on 5-15-12 at 11.10 PM.jpg

Yeah, I've seen a similar thing at Keg Connection, so its definitely possible, although I haven't tried it myself. Sounds like a really neat idea, especially for a lazy person like me that might not want to have to go somewhere else to get a beer!

One thing you'll want to check on before getting it set up is that both lines are balanced correctly. The pressure that you use for one might not be exactly what you want to use for the other. But there are certainly ways to figure out the best way to set it up. If you don't have any experience balancing lines, you'll need to figure out things like the height you're moving the beer as well as the distance. Since you're going downhill from the keg, it might provide enough force so that you can keep the CO2 pressure at a good carbonating level. Another option may be to use less resistant lines (1/4 ID) for the basement bar and more resistant lines (3/16) for the kitchen, but that's just a guess. Good luck!

Another option may be to use less resistant lines (1/4 ID) for the basement bar and more resistant lines (3/16) for the kitchen, but that's just a guess. Good luck!

I think that if the basement is below the kitchen, you would want more resistance and possibly longer lines in the lower tap lines to make up for the added pressure from going downhill.

I think that if the basement is below the kitchen, you would want more resistance and possibly longer lines in the lower tap lines to make up for the added pressure from going downhill.

You might be right, I haven't played around with the balancing equations much as far as moving beer a long distance. You'll definitely build up some added pressure going down, I just haven't got a clue how much :). Either way, definitely check it out first so beer isn't flying out of that downstairs tap!

Back