Can Dark LME impart extra roasty flavors in a stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
I am not an extract brewer....but for one of my first brews I made an imperial chocolate stout. It ended up being a partial mash because about 1/3 of the sugar came from extract. But anyway...the recipe I was using called for Light LME and I ended up using Dark LME. The brew ended up being extra roasty...can this at all be due to using Dark LME? What is the difference between Light LME and Dark LME? Is color the only difference, or is dark LME made by using some dark grains as well as 2Row?

Dark LME has roasted barley and other dark malts in it usually, depending on the brand I guess...

Almost definitely the reason.

agree with feldman. it'll vary with brand, but they do indeed use different specialty grains to produce dark malt extract vs. light, vs red, vs etc...

agree with feldman. it'll vary with brand, but they do indeed use different specialty grains to produce dark malt extract vs. light, vs red, vs etc...

so have any of you guys actually made a stout from just a couple ounces of hops and dark LME? or an american amber from a few ounces of cascade and amber LME?

The dark LME I've looked up the analysis on has amber and chocolate malt but no (unmalted) roasted barley. If you want to make a stout I would suggest using some roast barley in it on top of the extract. That said, every brand is different.

I've made many batches with specialized LME. Williams in CA has a bunch of them, from reds & browns to stouts. Couple years back I purchased 40 lbs of 'short' bags, everything from MO to instant stout.

Back