can beersmith calc mash and sparge temp and volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have been searching for a couple hours now and still cannot find if and how to have beersmith tell me how much water and at what temp to add for mash and sparge. Can anyone post a simple "how to" please?

I'm not on my PC that has BeerSmith loaded, at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact things you need to set up, but BeerSmith can do it.

From memory--

You have to set up (or choose from the list) what equipment you are using. In the Recipe View, there's a button that's labeled "Choose" next to the Equipment field near the top, and also a "Details" button next to it that you can use to tweak equipment settings.

You also have to choose your mash schedule near the bottom left of the Recipe View. There's a checkbox there that you have to check, to have it adjust the suggested temps for your equipment.

Or, do it the easy way and just put your strike water in your mash tun at about 180F, then wait for it to settle down to the desired temp before you mash in.

i have my equipment set and my schedual set but the problem is it only give me mash in at the temp with the desired volume (about 13qts) but i cant get the sparge to show up. all i get is the mash out which is like only 4 qts to raise to 168

Even on the brewsheet preview?

I get something like this:

Mash Ingredients
Step: Add 24.84 qt of water at 167.7F
-Hold mash at 152.0F for 60 min.
Sparge with 5.50 gal of 168.0F water...

But I only see that on the brewsheet, not in the recipe view.

A quick YouTube search came up with this

There are many more BeerSmith videos as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt look at the brew sheet it is there! thanks alot

Back