Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomridder

Reaction score
This is my fisrt batch of pale ale. There is something floating around in my carboy. I showed this picture to the guy at the home brew shop and he does not know what it is. He said it may be the yeast. It smells fine and tasted fine when I transfered ti to the carboy. It had this stuff in the fermentation pale too. I have been very careful with sanitizing. My temps were a little warm but I have been able to keep it down to 65F - 70F.

Should I try to filter it when I transfer back to the pale for adding the priming sugar?

Beer_Ferm.JPG

yea I have this same thing going on right now in a batch. I used S-05 (dry yeast) and I didn't rehydrate it this time since it was a small batch so I'm assuming its just yeast clumps. Should be fine!

Definitely looks like yeast rafts to me. I get em on almost every brew I do. Just let it sit a while and they should drop out. If not, just be careful when racking not to suck them up. No worries.

Back