Can a cooler be to big for a MT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I searched and found a few threads regarding cooler size for a MT. Since the cube shaped coolers are more readily available I was thinking about picking up one. The one I had in mind was one of the Igloo Ice Cube coolers that is 60QTs. Currently I will only be doing 5 gallon batches and my concern is that this will be to big for small SG beers. Anyone have any input? Here is a link to the cooler

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765

It will definitely work, but the bigger the cooler the more dead space you'll have on top. The more dead space you have the more heat you'll likely lose during the mash. I have a 54 qt cooler tun, and i lose around 5° during a 60 min mash for a 5 gal batch. I plan on cutting a rectangular piece of styrofoam insulation to float on top of the mash to combat this. I just used a cooler that I already had, but if I were buying a new one i would buy a smaller one.

Thats what I was afraid of. Finding the right cooler is so much harder then I thought it would be. I think I find one that will work perfectly and it does not have a spiggot on it etc.

That's why I have two MLT's. a 5gallon rubbermaid, and a 10gallon rubbermaid.

90% of the time I'm making beers under 1.060 so I use the 5gal because it loses less heat at dough-in.

bgrubb7 said:
It will definitely work, but the bigger the cooler the more dead space you'll have on top. The more dead space you have the more heat you'll likely lose during the mash. I have a 54 qt cooler tun, and i lose around 5° during a 60 min mash for a 5 gal batch. I plan on cutting a rectangular piece of styrofoam insulation to float on top of the mash to combat this. I just used a cooler that I already had, but if I were buying a new one i would buy a smaller one.
I think your problem is elsewhere. I use an 80qt and even on 5gal batches I don't lose more then 1* in 90 minutes.
You are either not preheating it enough or it's to cheap of a cooler.

I've got a 48 qt. Ice Cube and it works just fine, even for small beers. Just preheat it.

wedge421 said:
Do beers over 1.070 tend to be lagers? Im mainly doing Belgium ales and stouts etc.
It can be any beer you want really. Although a mild or regular bitter does not go that high. It all depends on if you want to stick to the styles or not.

I use a 160 qt marine cooler and don't have considerably more temp loss if I preheat adequately. Normally I use it for 15-25 gallon batches, however recently I did a 5 gallon with a large grainbill and it did fine.

The main factor that I had to adjust for was the runoff rate of this cooler is a lot higher (more surface area on the manifold, larger fittings, pump) so in order to hit the same efficiency that I did with my 50 qt with the siphon manifold, I have to throttle the flow when I drain the mash. I find a mash out or a second sparge helps out in this area also.

So if all im going to be doing is 5 gallon batches should I just get the 60 qt cooler? I brew mostly IPA's, Wheats, Stout and a few Belgium beers. Or should I just get the 5 gallon cooler and be done with it since I cannot for see myself doing any larger batches then 5 and the styles i stick with are mostly under 1.070.

wedge421 said:
So if all im going to be doing is 5 gallon batches should I just get the 60 qt cooler? I brew mostly IPA's, Wheats, Stout and a few Belgium beers. Or should I just get the 5 gallon cooler and be done with it since I cannot for see myself doing any larger batches then 5 and the styles i stick with are mostly under 1.070.
Get at least a 10 gal cooler. If you can get the 60 for a good price, go with that.
I thought I was fine with 5 gal batches when I started also. Now I'm looking at going to a 1-2 bbl system.

i'd go with the 10 gallon cooler. if you EVER want to do a big beer or make a 10 gallon batch, it'll be ready and in the meantime...preheat that sucker and it will be just fine ;)

As has been mentioned, having a cooler with a lot of headspace isn't an issue if you preheat it properly. After that the key to maintaining the temperature is - no peeking! Keep the lid closed and you shouldn't lose more than a degree or two over a 60-90 min mash.

Yah i was looking at that one Craig but decided against it because there was no spigot on it. And I was not sure about drilling one into it with leaking issues.

wedge421 said:
Yah i was looking at that one Craig but decided against it because there was no spigot on it. And I was not sure about drilling one into it with leaking issues.

I drilled mine, and filled to the top with water in the bath tub and not even a drop came out, VERY water tight. The Drain set up I used was on the expensive side, but works Great. I used the exact set up as described in "How to Brew" vol III in the appendix. If you want I still have all the packages of the parts I purchased from HD I can get you the list?

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Is there any min/max for pounds of grain for different size coolers. I know roughly13lbs is about max for a 5 gallon but whats the range for a 10gallon or a 50qt, 60qt, 70qt?

Back