can a bucket with a spout keep beer carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
I want to get away from bottling, but I dont want to keg just yet... can I rack my beer into a a fermenting bucket with a spout and just pour myself carbonated beer when its ready? and if so, will it stay carbonated?

I figure no air is leaving when I pour it only beer,... ?

walmart has these rectangular water containers with spouts that would be great if this works

I would think the beer would go flat fairly quickly as you draw out your beer you're creating more head space and the CO2 that's dissolved in the beer would want to fill it to maintain the level of pressure that it has before you drew out the glass of beer. Keeping it colder might lessen the effect but I would think it would play out much in the same fashion as a 2 liter of soda. I'm fairly new around these parts so this is just my two cents.

In short, don't think so. But some food for thought. English cask ales have very low carbonation and as it's pulled from the cask the volume gets displaced with air.

I guess it might be possible to do the same with a bucket or other container. Good luck attempting to carb it and you'll need to consume the batch in a limited amount of time before it becomes oxidated.

No. The bucket will not hold the required pressure necessary to maintain carbonation.

Or you could MASTER bottling, rather than letting it defeat you. You could beat the process into submission until you can bottle like many of us do, comfortably and in under an hour for a five gallon batch.

You just need to pimp your process.....we tweak all other aspects of the brewing process to what works best for us, but most brewers bottle EXACTLY the way that pappa charlie and John Palmer show in their books...never ever thinking of trying other ways...and then cursing and complaining about how hard it is to bottle.

Some of us have figured out how to make it no more onorous a chore than cleaning. It takes me less than an hour to comfortably bottle 54 beers. Yes I get two cases + 1 sixer on average/ 5 gallon batch of beer. In about 45 minutes of pain free bottling.

We explain all in here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

I think folks that don't master something and then b1tch about it are wussies...so I dare you to be a Jedi of Bottling.

:D

What you'll have is REAL ale, per CAMRA. This is fine for certain styles. I drank about a gallon of my Ordinary Bitter before kegging. REAL ale retains a small amount of carbonation, but not enough for most beer styles. Oxidation is a problem, regardless of how carefully you draw down the beer. The movement of air into the headspace will cause mixing.

its just that I found my butterfly bottle capper only caps beer bottles with a bigger groove at the top, so when I buy beer I have to buy particular kinds... Im wondering if a table capper can cap them all regardless...

its just that I found my butterfly bottle capper only caps beer bottles with a bigger groove at the top, so when I buy beer I have to buy particular kinds... Im wondering if a table capper can cap them all regardless...

Your in canada so maybe it's different there, but across the border I have no problem finding capabale bottles I don't drink BMC which is screw caps, so all the micros I buy take normal crown caps

Is the bell of your capper reversable? Many are. That may solve your problem with the bottles.

I have reused bottles from dozens of brewery's but I just found that if I reuse bottles from a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, my carbonation is less than in other bottles. Im not sure why but im sure that its a US / Euro thing. Metrics?

Anyone else have problems with Young & Wells bottles?

-ArXiX

if you have that red wing capper that comes with most kits you shouldnt have a problem capping anything thats pop-top. I bottle with a lot of SA and Long Trail bottles and they work out just great.

Personally I love bottling. Having a tightly capped individual unit of beer really satisfsies my OCD. Plus when you hand it to somebody it reassures them of the authenticity of your product.

Keeping beer carbonated in a bucket? This sounds like something that I would try. I can just see the low pressure regulator with the 3/8 inch aeroquip hosing to the c02 tank with a stepped down fitting. One second thought a home made plastic keg like this would probably just get me in trouble when it found some way to explode on me.

I wonder whether something like a bag-o-wine approach could work here. Instead of using a rigid container to store the carbonated beer letting in air as beer leaves, a bag just shrinks with the loss of volume. Has anyone tried this before or know of any products that might suffice here? I'd have to take a look, but I'm pretty sure I have something like this used for storing drinking water while camping. Not sure how it would behave with carbonation, but it should work in theory I'd presume...

You're talking about 40 psi maximum (i think???) for carbonating beer. 40 psi on a lid that is 113 square inches...
That's 4500 pounds of force pushing upward on that lid. If you park your car on top of it, it might stay put.

I wonder whether something like a bag-o-wine approach could work here. Instead of using a rigid container to store the carbonated beer letting in air as beer leaves, a bag just shrinks with the loss of volume. Has anyone tried this before or know of any products that might suffice here? I'd have to take a look, but I'm pretty sure I have something like this used for storing drinking water while camping. Not sure how it would behave with carbonation, but it should work in theory I'd presume...

You still have to maintain pressure on it to keep carbonation. What you could do is have a pressurized rigid container that contains a bag of liquid. The air pressure on the bag would not allow the dissolved gasses to come out of solution. I believe this has been done before, but it is not very popular.

I'm sure you have opened a can of pop before. If you let it get warm, it will lose carbonation very fast because warm liquids cannot hold dissolved gases. If you keep the can cold in the fridge, it may stay carbonated overnight because cold liquids can hold dissolved gasses better.
However, air pressure can counter these effects. That can of pop is under extreme pressure at room temperature, yet it is still carbonated. The air pressure inside the can is not allowing the carbonate to come out of the pop. If you were to put ice cold pop into a vacuum, the carbonation would come right out of the liquid. Each situation has a level where the dissolved gasses will equalize with the environment

warm liquid/low pressure = no dissolved gasses
warm liquid/high pressure = some to lots of dissolved gasses

cold liquid/low pressure = none to some dissolved gasses
cold liquid/high pressure = lots of dissolved gasses

Be warned that my terminology is not a substitute for numbers and certain situations can yield different results.. but this is just a general idea

Latest posts

Back