Can’t get Hard Ginger Beer to carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
Can’t get Hard Ginger Beer to carb. I’ve made my recipe multiple times and never get it to where it is bubbly when I pour and drink it, it is flat every time.

Here’s some info:
5 gallon batch

OG: 1.08
FG: 1.0

Yeast: S0-4

Aged 6 months at 65 degrees racked as needed

Bottling Procedure: Make simple syrup w/ 5 oz of corn sugar and 1 cup distilled water, pour that to bottling bucket. Then rack Ginger Beer to bottling bucket. Bottling with wand and capping with manual capper w/ new caps sanitized. I've very sanitary through the entire process.

Waited 20 days after bottling to try one. Carbonated at approx 65 degrees

What is the highest I can go on the ounces for priming sugar?

Last edited:
Something's not right. 1.080 is not that high of an OG, so the yeast should not be pooped out.
More info. please.
ie. what size batch, what yeast, how long before bottling, what is your bottling procedure, what temp are you trying to carbonate at, how long are you waiting before trying one.
If those answers are good, then it might be something as simple as a poor seal on your bottle caps. Could try bottling one in a soda bottle to monitor carbonation.

Sorry I was missing a bunch of details, I have updated the original post w/ that info. I myself wondered if the caps are not getting on there tight enough but it seems doubtful all 48 bottles would have a capping issue - as I cap them pretty hard w/ pressure, but it is a cheap feeling capper made of all plastic handles - I think this is the one most people use.

Would going to 6 oz of corn sugar be too much for 5 gallon batch?

I can tell you I had random carbonation issues - and then an entire batch worth for over a year (over 150 bottles) with a Giro capper.

Broke down and spent real $$ on a serious capper and have had no issues whatsoever since.

Would going to 6 oz of corn sugar be too much for 5 gallon batch?
Generally much more than 4oz. will lead to overcarbonated bottles. With 6oz. I'd be worried about bottle bombs. (yeah I know kits usually give you a 5oz. packet, but you soon learn that it's a bit too much)

Back