Camping + Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
I'm leaving for a camping trip early Friday morning and plan on bringing a corny keg. The outside temperature is going to be highs of 59 and lows of 27. Part of the drive will be dirt roads and possibly quite bumpy. A few questions I have:

1. Given the aforementioned temperatures, I'm tempted to leave the keg in the back of my truck OFF ice with a white blanket wrapped around it to keep the temperature above freezing, but below the outside temperature. Thoughts?

2. Anybody have any good tips for mitigating foam during a bumpy ride? Besides driving slowly and carefully, of course :)

3. I'd imagine the keg will be empty by the end of Saturday night and I'd rather not bring the CO2 tank if its not necessary. Do you think the beer will stay carbonated for 36 - 48 hours without CO2 being pumped in?

It'll stay carbonated, no problem. But how will you push the beer out of the keg? I use those "keg chargers", and they work pretty well to push already carbonated beer. If you plan on that, it'll work out fine.

Well, I'm not too sure about the temps, but after it sits overnight at 27, it'll be plenty cold. The foam, well that will subside after even just an hour of it sitting still. You'll probably stir up whatever sediment you have at the bottom, but WTH. The CO2 though, that's a problem. How do you expect to push the beer out of the keg? Whatever CO2 is in the beer will not be enough to push it all out of the keg. Get yourself one of these and you'll have no problems.

Doh! I really should have started this thread before I drove over to my LHBS earlier today. Oh well, I'll drag the CO2 tank along :)

I'll probably just end up bringing the CO2 tank along. It isn't like I don't have room for it, I am just known to be over-prepared and was hoping to be as lean as could be. But not at an extra cost :)

If you want something a little smaller: http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=21295&featured=

Obviously it's not going to pour as well as regulated co2, but... you're camping. you can rough it a little. ;)

Personally I'd keep the beer as cold as possible on the way there. The colder it is... the more co2 will stay in solution. If you keep it warm and then try and cool it down when you get there, it'll take a lot longer for any foaminess to subside.

Fortunately its only a 2 hour drive or so to Big Bear, so I think keeping it cold on the way there should be easy enough. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I would add, right before you leave, pull a pint - This will get rid of any sediment at the dip tube.
Then rack it to another corny with CO2 and a double "out" QD line.

You can't stir up sediment that isn't in the keg :fro:

I would add, right before you leave, pull a pint - This will get rid of any sediment at the dip tube.
Then rack it to another corny with CO2 and a double "out" QD line.

You can't stir up sediment that isn't in the keg :fro:

Well, like I said... it IS a 2 hour drive. Of course I was going to pull a pint at 5:00AM ;)

Latest posts

Back