Cooling unconventional kegerators - 12V portable refrigerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keweenaw

Reaction score
Figured I'd throw this idea into the world. I'll (hopefully) be building some taps in my garage next to a brewing area in the next few months. It should be nice, but a 100 ft walk outside to a detached garage is not the most convenient place to grab another beer. I don't have much space inside, but I do have this sideboard I cleaned up and use for coffee equipment. Even with insulation, it's at least feasible I could fit a 1 or 2.5 gal keg + 5 gal CO2 in the cabinet - 36" wide, maybe 18" deep, about 12" tall). I'd drill through the stone top and add a single tap tower.

For cooling, I was looking into small compressors (even hooking it up myself) when I learned about these portable 12V refrigerators that use compressors instead of the thermoelectric ones. The one I linked to would fit inside, leaving about 19" of width for a keg and insulation. With the lid open to an insulated half of the cabinet, and the compressor side sealed off and vented, it seems like it could be feasible. I'd probably need a circulating fan in there as well.

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, but before I blow $130 on an overpriced cooler, I was wondering if anyone had used these coolers, either for camping or homebrewing. And are there other strategies you've seen for cooling unconventional kegerators?

218781039_10216631632258086_2760283471498116769_n.jpg
71BSjvipZfL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I think the OP is being far too optimistic about outcomes here. It is much more likely that the compressor was sized to handle its (tiny) enclosure given the unit's insulation performance, likely leaving little excess cooling capacity to handle the larger volume and likely less effective insulation performance of the proposed new home...

Cheers!

It's a nice little piece of furniture, but I think you're going to have more trouble than it's worth turning it into a kegerator (insulating, drilling through stone, etc...it's more than I would take on as a DIYer.)

The 3.5-cubic-ft. chest freezer I'm using for hops has a 21x22" footprint and a 15x16" interior, and cost about that $130. If you can make that kind of space in the house, I think it'd fit two kegs (I could check to make sure), and definitely a keg and a gas cylinder. Or a gas cylinder and two small, stacked kegs. And no question it'd have the cooling power.

Check the "Show me your kegerator" thread -- there are folks out there (again, more than I would take on as a DIYer) who have turned their keezers into really attractive furniture. I think it's easier that way than trying to turn attractive furniture into a kegerator.

On compressor size, it’s advertised down to -4F so I’m thinking there’s some capacity to expand the volume and hold 45 or 50F. Obviously dependent on insulation and sealing.

I’m definitely a bit hesitant to put too much into it, particularly cutting stone. Thankfully this wouldn’t require modifying the cooler so I’m tempted to find a reason to need a portable refrigerator (cost of ice, obviously) just to see if it can hold temps. I’ll probably have some leftover foam board from some other projects this spring.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back