Camping Beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also curious about how far off a mash pH was to cause 10G to be a dumper. And what was the resulting flavor defect.
It’s very grainy, to the point that instead of tasting the flavor of hops I taste grains. Going off the top of my head (which is not very dependable)( I just received my water results from ward lab.) my ph came in around at a 6 according to Brunwater.
Sounds like you had a wet weekend like we did. You don't really say how the apricot wheat and stout went over with the family. Did they like it or just want to drink bmc beer?
One brother n law like the apricot but did not care for the stout, and I had another brother n law like the stout but not the apricot. But neither are drinkers, so I still consider it good. The rest of the family, was unable to make it. So I will need to wait till next year to get their feed back.

I usually brew a more malt-forward beer for the BMC drinkers in my family (cream ale is usually their favorite). This year, I'm serving a Czech Pilsner and, probably a lemon drop saison for our cookout. I'll probably have a few more styles in bottles for the more adventurous drinkers amongst us.

It’s very grainy, to the point that instead of tasting the flavor of hops I taste grains. Going off the top of my head (which is not very dependable)( I just received my water results from ward lab.) my ph came in around at a 6 according to Brunwater.
One brother n law like the apricot but did not care for the stout, and I had another brother n law like the stout but not the apricot. But neither are drinkers, so I still consider it good. The rest of the family, was unable to make it. So I will need to wait till next year to get their feed back.

6 doesn’t sound all that high. brulosophy did a comparison with an IPA all they way to 6.39 that proved insignificant. Other things in your water could be messing with you though. What was your recipe and water profile?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/07/24/wa...e-impact-of-high-mash-ph-exbeeriment-results/

^^So glad you said it first because i thought of that experiment right away and boy i know this is really going to tick some people off, but i never believed ph mattered all that much and was another aspect of homebrewing that is over thought out. Bottom line I seriously doubt ph played a role.

On a more positive note it's awesome you made beer and brought it camping. Unless it was ridiculously bad , I would have been happy to sit out there and drink Homebrew for the most part. I like this thread and I think it's cool you followed through.

We were supposed to be going on our camping trip and instead we're doing a hotel thing. I don't know if I'm happy or sad.

6 doesn’t sound all that high. brulosophy did a comparison with an IPA all they way to 6.39 that proved insignificant. Other things in your water could be messing with you though. What was your recipe and water profile?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/07/24/wa...e-impact-of-high-mash-ph-exbeeriment-results/
As I am still learning, I have asked,and the response that I have gotten is my ph is off. I am open for suggestion on troubleshooting my problems... here is a quick run down. I did 2 batches of wheat beer, first was extract, used us-05 yeast finished with 4 oz apricot (extract)at botteling. Second batch was BIAB, mashed at 152. used yeast 1010 finished with cherry(extract)at botteling. Fermented at 64 in my fermenter. Water used from both was pulled from the same source. Extract is good, AG is grainy. I do have a post in brew science with a copy of my water from ward labs. Any suggestions on things to try will be greatly appreciated.

Receipes pulled from northern brewer American wheat.

^^So glad you said it first because i thought of that experiment right away and boy i know this is really going to tick some people off, but i never believed ph mattered all that much and was another aspect of homebrewing that is over thought out. Bottom line I seriously doubt ph played a role.

On a more positive note it's awesome you made beer and brought it camping. Unless it was ridiculously bad , I would have been happy to sit out there and drink Homebrew for the most part. I like this thread and I think it's cool you followed through.

We were supposed to be going on our camping trip and instead we're doing a hotel thing. I don't know if I'm happy or sad.
i know if it was me, I would be sad... love waking up in the morning and sitting by a nice fire with a cup of coffee. And then sitting by the fire at night with a cold brew.

As I am still learning, I have asked,and the response that I have gotten is my ph is off. I am open for suggestion on troubleshooting my problems... here is a quick run down. I did 2 batches of wheat beer, first was extract, used us-05 yeast finished with 4 oz apricot (extract)at botteling. Second batch was BIAB, mashed at 152. used yeast 1010 finished with cherry(extract)at botteling. Fermented at 64 in my fermenter. Water used from both was pulled from the same source. Extract is good, AG is grainy. I do have a post in brew science with a copy of my water from ward labs. Any suggestions on things to try will be greatly appreciated.

Receipes pulled from northern brewer American wheat.

Post up the recipes and the Ca, Na, Mg, SO4 and Cl. Maybe try to describe "grainy" better. Is that bready, nutty, astrigent, husky, etc. I can tell you hops generally shouldn't be noticed on a wheat, unless it was a hoppy wheat. I don't do extract or fruit brews so I probably won't be able to help much but maybe someone with more experience could see something if you provide all of the information in the same place. Good luck.

Post up the recipes and the Ca, Na, Mg, SO4 and Cl. Maybe try to describe "grainy" better. Is that bready, nutty, astrigent, husky, etc. I can tell you hops generally shouldn't be noticed on a wheat, unless it was a hoppy wheat. I don't do extract or fruit brews so I probably won't be able to help much but maybe someone with more experience could see something if you provide all of the information in the same place. Good luck.
Here’s the receipe:
Extract -
6 lbs wheat malt
1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
Us-05
60 min boil
Fermentation 2 weeks at 64F 4 oz corn sugar, 4 oz apricot extract at botteling. Bottle time was 3 weeks.

AG -
4.7 lbs white wheat
4.7 lbs pale malt 2 row
1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min.
EDIT: wyeast 1010
Mash at 152 for 60 min
Fermentation 2 weeks at 64F, 4 oz corn sugar, 4 oz cherry extract at botteling. Bottle time was 3 weeks

I brewed both on the same day, normal practices for clean up and sanitizing. My other 2 brews that I did as BIAB has the same taste, but it didn’t catch my attention as well till I tried the wheat.

I say it has a grainy flavor, I am guessing that it would be more husky flavor. I don’t taste any sweetness. It over powers the cherry flavor. With the apricot I get a slight ( seddule)taste, and a little after taste of the apricot.

Unfortantly I will not be brewing again for a few months( lake of time with remodeling my currant home) attached my water profile, from word labs. As of yet I do not add anything to my water.

Attachments

• 783906EE-B82C-466B-B0A6-3FD7213AB8B4.jpeg
    783906EE-B82C-466B-B0A6-3FD7213AB8B4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back