Campfire Lager recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Dont know the specific numbers right off, but you can figure out the general idea.

20 lbs pilsner
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs carapils
1 lbs peat smoked malted

Lemon drop hops for bittering and flavor.

This is for a 10 gallon batch net with approx 70% efficiency.

By the name, obviously I am looking for a very smokey flavor. I've been reading up on peat smoked malted in the forums though and am wondering if I'm over doing it. I do want to be able to drink it without think im chewing pure wood ash.

Any feedback?

Dont know the specific numbers right off, but you can figure out the general idea.

20 lbs pilsner
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs carapils
1 lbs peat smoked malted

By the name, obviously I am looking for a very smokey flavor. I've been reading up on peat smoked malted in the forums though and am wondering if I'm over doing it. I do want to be able to drink it without think im chewing pure wood ash.

Any feedback?

Just my opinion----but, any amount of peat smoked malt is too much.

Consider beechwood or cherrywood smoked malt instead.

I've read that feedback quite a bit in other threads. I'm going to try it at least once and see how it turns out.

I've used 2% peat smoked malt in a Wee Heavy (yes, I know, not supposed to be there) before and it was pretty tough to detect. It looks like you are sitting at 3.8%. Being a pale lager, I would assume that it would be perceived and not overpowering. I think you're on the right track if you like peaty. I wouldn't push it more than 5% on your first go though.

I've used 2% peat smoked malt in a Wee Heavy (yes, I know, not supposed to be there) before and it was pretty tough to detect. It looks like you are sitting at 3.8%. Being a pale lager, I would assume that it would be perceived and not overpowering. I think you're on the right track if you like peaty. I wouldn't push it more than 5% on your first go though.

I was thinking the same, but after reading all the reviews of hate I was getting gun shy. I was wondering if I ought to back it down to 8 oz. I'm not going for subtle though. I want a predominant smoke flavor.

Whichever smoked malt you choose, you'll need a few more pounds to get a prominent smoke flavor. If you go with Weyermann beech wood smoked malt, it is intended to make up the majority of the base malt to get good smoke flavor. If you want to recreate that campfire atmosphere, I recommend beech or cherry, beech providing the classic bacon or 'campfire' aroma. Also, peat smoke has a heavy earthy aroma like burning grass, not firewood.

Hey, where is old @Schlenkerla when you need him, that guy is an expert in smoked beers!

20 lbs pilsner
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs carapils
1 lbs peat smoked malted

Any feedback?
I love brewing and drinking Rauchbiers. My suggestion is using rauchmalt over peat. I think peat is not good in any amount in a beer, but not so in whiskey or is it scotch...

To me peat has a phenolic taste that i don't like. Its smell/taste reminds me of soldering on printed circuit boards. Hence the description phenolic. If you want campfire smell you need to use rauchmalt with hickory or maple. Those are common smoke fragrances. However any wood malt would work. Common off the shelf stuff, well it's likely Weyermans beechwood or oak are automatic choices.

I make many smoke beers in the way of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier. The classic form of the style. Schlenkerla is 100% smoked as they malt their grain it's kilned with beechwood as the heat source. The color is very dark that of the color of Coca-Cola. Having a slight tinge of red.

I smoke my own malt. Having done so with Beechwood, Apple, Hickory, Maple, Cherry, Oak, Mesquite, Pecan. Then got nutty and used actual pistachio shells and then peanut shells. Anything I smoke is already malted though.

My default Rauchbier is
48-49% Rauchmalt
48-49% Basemalt of Pale or Munich or Wheat
2-4% Carafa 3 or Blackmalt.
Hop with German hops to hit 30-40 IBU.
Pitch S05 but will also do S-33, S-04, WB-06 or K-97 (Or your favorite lager yeast)

This will make you a Classic Rauchbier that you would find very campfire like in smell and taste.

I have a Rauchbier Thread you might enjoy reading. It has the "How To" info if you're so disposed to smoking your own malt. Otherwise buy it.

I'll paste it here. If you're hell bent on using peat I'll see if I can see I can find a section on peat in my Smoked Beers. The sage advice is a little goes a long way.

True... Good advice.
Whichever smoked malt you choose, you'll need a few more pounds to get a prominent smoke flavor. If you go with Weyermann beech wood smoked malt, it is intended to make up the majority of the base malt to get good smoke flavor. If you want to recreate that campfire atmosphere, I recommend beech or cherry, beech providing the classic bacon or 'campfire' aroma. Also, peat smoke has a heavy earthy aroma like burning grass, not firewood.

Hey, where is old @Schlenkerla when you need him, that guy is an expert in smoked beers!
Oh.... You're feeding my ego and my obsession.

Last edited:
My current beer ... This is per the recipe I mention above....

Using:

Half rauchmalt, half wheat, black malt, northern brewer and pitched K97.... Really liking K97 it leaves a little mouth feel.

This is Mesquite, smells smokey and taste smokey. It's most notable at the pour. It's smacks you in the face as smokey but it's very mellow. This is really good.

Got these poor fellas on the smoker right now.
IMG_20191013_235725.jpeg
IMG_20191015_201221.jpeg

Last edited:
@Jtvann. Buy one of these to see if this is your thing. Trips your trigger. See picture below.

You appear to be ready to make a big commitment. Can you make a small batch? I would hate to hear you make something you can't drink using peat.

You might also might be able to make a peat tea. Do a micro mash. Using just an ounce of peat in a coffee tumbler like a Yeti. 60 minutes. Strain and taste.

If you can buy it local, taste the barley or if you buy a pound. Nothing says you must use it though. Taste the barley kernels by themselves. That's also a very good indicator of how it will taste. Mind you it might be like chewing hops. If that's what you taste It'll tell you if you want to use it in your beer.

Aged smoked malt does degrade in smoke strength over time. Don't let the smell fool you. Mashed, Fermented and Carbonation changes the grain looses smoke smell, but the taste will still be there.
IMG_20191015_214258.jpeg

@Jtvann info on peat from "Smoked Beers.".

Note that it comes in phenolic strengths in measures of PPMs.

The emphasis on background flavor. I'm thinking you want more than background. Really typical Rauchmalt is probably the best choice until you're a Rauchbier officianodo.

IMG_20191015_223613.jpeg
IMG_20191015_223723.jpeg
IMG_20191015_223735.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy information overload batman. I leave for one afternoon and come back to the holy grail of information.

I had already purchased my proposed grain bill posted above, but I'm a solid two weeks out from brewing. I've got time to get a substitute ordered.

I am not really looking to stick to any style guidelines with this beer. If I do, great ... if not, great.

Here's what I'd like to make.

1- A predominate smokey flavor beer. I'd like the good ole campfire flavor to be front and center

2- I'd like it to be a very light color lager. I've got a dark one on tap, but I'd like something very light in color.

3- Nothing to heavy or full. Probably in the 5.5% ABV range, on the dryer side unless a medium FG is needed to accentuate the smoke.

4- Not hoppy at all. Something that compliments but doesn't distract. I've got lemon drop hops.

So here's another stab at a recipe that I'd could try.

10 lbs pilsner
10 lbs smoked malted (rauchmalt, cherry or beechwood)
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs carapils

Lemon drop for bittering and late addition
Saf lager 34/70

Thoughts?

Holy information overload batman. I leave for one afternoon and come back to the holy grail of information.

I had already purchased my proposed grain bill posted above, but I'm a solid two weeks out from brewing. I've got time to get a substitute ordered.

I am not really looking to stick to any style guidelines with this beer. If I do, great ... if not, great.

Here's what I'd like to make.

1- A predominate smokey flavor beer. I'd like the good ole campfire flavor to be front and center

2- I'd like it to be a very light color lager. I've got a dark one on tap, but I'd like something very light in color.

3- Nothing to heavy or full. Probably in the 5.5% ABV range, on the dryer side unless a medium FG is needed to accentuate the smoke.

4- Not hoppy at all. Something that compliments but doesn't distract. I've got lemon drop hops.

So here's another stab at a recipe that I'd could try.

10 lbs pilsner
10 lbs smoked malted (rauchmalt, cherry or beechwood)
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs carapils

Lemon drop for bittering and late addition
Saf lager 34/70

Thoughts?

Much better grain choice!

Smokey beer can be lighter in color although I like a little roast in my beer. Maybe add some biscuit malt too. Like that your using Vienna though. Also, it might be better with lesser attenuation. Mash higher and pitch a lower percent attenuating yeast. I say that so you have some malt flavor to pair with the smoke. Not too mention more mouth feel keeps the smoke/malt flavor seem more velvety on the palate.

Back