Campfield and Graniwinkle scions wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masbustelo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking forward to next winter and spring, 2020, I would like to source some Graniwinkle and Campfield scions. Can anyone help me out ?

I have all 3 if you catch me in January. Best to PM me now with an email address since I rarely check this forum any longer.

I also participate in the NA Scion Exchange Facebook group. My orchard is rounded out with all I want (mostly cider and perry varieties), but I still offer scions to those that’ll cover shipping. I usually limit it to 10-12 people though to not make it work.

Have you had them fruit? Can you describe the flavour?

I have granniwinkle fruiting this year so that’s a treat.

Thoughts on Harrison flavour? I’m surprised mine haven’t fruited. Next year I hope.

I have all 3 if you catch me in January. Best to PM me now with an email address since I rarely check this forum any longer.

I also participate in the NA Scion Exchange Facebook group. My orchard is rounded out with all I want (mostly cider and perry varieties), but I still offer scions to those that’ll cover shipping. I usually limit it to 10-12 people though to not make it work.

Definitely report back when you taste the fruit with your reviews!

Thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread and responded. I have one Harrison tree on G-11. This is it's second growing season and it has reached 8-9 feet which is as tall as I want it. If it flowers next year I'm debating on letting it fruit a little. Some say with the dwarfs to let them go 4-5 years before letting them fruit? What say you? The Harrison is kind of a cool variety, to think that it is a direct descendant of trees that existed at the time of the revolutionary war. Truly a bit of Americana. I plan on growing the Campfield and Graniwinkle on a 6 foot high espalier.

Thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread and responded. I have one Harrison tree on G-11. This is it's second growing season and it has reached 8-9 feet which is as tall as I want it. If it flowers next year I'm debating on letting it fruit a little. Some say with the dwarfs to let them go 4-5 years before letting them fruit? What say you? The Harrison is kind of a cool variety, to think that it is a direct descendant of trees that existed at the time of the revolutionary war. Truly a bit of Americana. I plan on growing the Campfield and Graniwinkle on a 6 foot high espalier.

Please report back on the espalier yield in a few years with pictures, I'm curious.

You can save some money by grafting your own, but why not shave a few years off the project and just buy a tree? I'm pretty sure Cummings and some others sell Campfield, not sure where you can get Graniwinkle.
I have Harrison and Campfield, but had some rodent problems last winter and now I'm not sure if they'll survive.

Madscientist It's more fun to graft your own tree, and you get to pick the rootstock you desire as well. I had no idea what I was doing last spring, and 4 out of 5 grafts took for me. It maybe would be kind of hard to find these varieties on dwarf rootstock.

You can save some money by grafting your own, but why not shave a few years off the project and just buy a tree? I'm pretty sure Cummings and some others sell Campfield, not sure where you can get Graniwinkle.
I have Harrison and Campfield, but had some rodent problems last winter and now I'm not sure if they'll survive.

Probably pretty hard to find espalier trained(and of the right shape, too) dwarf trees of cider varieties.

Raintree Nursery in Washington sells Graniwinkle(and harrison and campfield). They ship.

I bought 4 4x1 trees and planted them this spring, all grafts got leaves, flowers, and even a couple fruit. Maybe 5' tall? Even after I let them sit in the garage for two weeks before planting. But semi dwarf whips, not espalier dwarfs. I'll definitely buy from them again.

But more local is almost always more better for nurseries.

Back