Campden tablets changed the color of my raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
602241C1-7C71-4897-8272-BEB51E2AF187.jpeg
So, I’m making a berry beer and wanted to sanitize my raspberries but didn’t want to heat them. I decided to use campden tablets but the raspberries have lost their color! They were a vibrant red but have changed significantly! Should I use them or buy new raspberries?

I mashed them up with some water and added the crushed tablets (Incase that information matters).

Also, it’s been about 4 hours since I added the crushed tablets.

Yes. Color change doesn't mean anything.

Here are some raspberries in beer:
View attachment 592407
I expected the raspberries to turn white-ish during secondary fermentation. However, my expectation was that the color would leach into the beer imparting a red/pink hue. If the pigment is gone prior to being added It seems unlikely a color transfer would occur. The flavor is the most important aspect and I could always taste it before adding but I kinda wanted the red hue as well.

Why wouldn't the raspberrys turn it red/pink? My raspberry sour came out very red. Cheers
20180905_202058.jpeg

6B0DAC4A-6C5B-47F0-8457-4DB841ABDEA6.png
No, raspberries won't turn it pink, sorry.

Example
View attachment 592414

Add some food coloring if you want it pink. It really brings out the flavor ;)

Cheers
I’m not trying to be insulting but others have experienced color changes after fruit additions.
No, raspberries won't turn it pink, sorry.

Example
View attachment 592414

Add some food coloring if you want it pink. It really brings out the flavor ;)

Cheers

Um, I’d agrue that it can in fact change the color of the base beer. I’m not basing this assertion off personal experience but the experience of others. Perhaps it depends on the amount added but it should happen with a sufficient amount of raspberries. This photo it from the requiem raspberry recipe thread.

I don't know why raspberries sometimes turn beer pink and sometimes not, but for every pink beer photo you post I could post a raspberry beer photo that's not pink ;)

Screenshot_20181012-011301.png

Screenshot_20181012-011448.png

Could be a fun game?

Do the people that get pigment pitch in whole raspberries without sanitizing them?

I don't know why raspberries sometimes turn beer pink and sometimes not, but for every pink beer photo you post I could post a raspberry beer photo that's not pink ;)

View attachment 592420

View attachment 592421

Could be a fun game?

Do the people that get pigment pitch in whole raspberries without sanitizing them?
I’m not sure. Perhaps they use extract? I guess what I was really hoping for was “I used campden tabs and it lost color but tasted great”. I know a lot of people just add frozen raspberries to the secondary. Perhaps that what I should do. I’m not trying to exclude your experience but some people do obtain a color change.

I’m not trying to exclude your experience but some people do obtain a color change.
It's all good. I don't even make fruit beer; I've just noticed most commercial fruit beers aren't pigmented.

I'm sure it'll taste good. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong :) RDWHAHB

Why wouldn't the raspberrys turn it red/pink? My raspberry sour came out very red. CheersView attachment 592418
This was made with 2500grams/ 5 gallons of Frozen raspberries in secondary. No extra sterilization required. Just add the still frozen berries into a hop bag and into the secondary. I was actually pink almost immediately and dark red the next day. Cheers

To avoid confusion from previous posters, when you add any real fruit (not extract) to a beer the colors from that fruit will impart into the beer. It's that simple; there is no trickery.

To answer your question, I would strain the liquid and taste it. Do you still get raspberry taste? If so, use the liquid. In another container add fresh raspberries and cover those with vodka. Add enough vodka to cover the top of the raspberries, and shake that container once a day. In about two weeks strain off the liquid which will be red and pour into the secondary. Use the raspberries themselves in cocktails; although, they would have lost their bright red luster.

This comes from someone who makes fruit beer on a regular basis. Also, I grow my own blackberries and raspberries which i use in my homebrew.

Back