Added Campden tablet to hot must.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crevie

Reaction score
Hi I'm Craig and new to wine making. I have an issue with a Campden tablet. I prepared my hot must as per the recipe after dutifully sterilising everything. As per the instructions for Raspberry wine in Terry Garry's Joy of home winemaking, I crushed a Campden tablet mixed with water and added to the air lock. Of course and I didn't realize I should have left the primary fermentation lid loose. As the hot must cooled it created a partial vacuum and sucked the Campden tablet solution out of the air lock into the must. I had intended to add a Campden tablet when the must was cool anyway and then add the pectihaze 12 hours later and then add the Champaign yeast. I won't add any further Campden tablets at this stage. Will anything bad happen because the Campden solution was added to the must while hot except for a less efficient sterilisation and what should I do. Thanks

How much Campden did it suck in? I'd consider the amount it sucked in as part of my initial add, add the rest, and call it a done deal. Don't add too much or there will be too much sulfite in it. Recommended (and what I use) is 1 tablet per gallon. If it's 1 gallon, and it sucked in 1 tablet (as I'm guessing from your writeup, I'd call that good.

Thanks for responding. It pretty much sucked in most of it out of the air lock leaving about one bubble (maybe about 3/4 sucked in). When I made up the tablet in the small container (1 tablet) as well I'm not sure how much I used of it either and then tipped the rest away. Can't say for certain how much was in the air lock as I've topped it up now. The must is one gallon. Think I might err on the side of caution and call it done. Thanks

Back