Campden same time as yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjdepue

Reaction score
I started a hard cider ferment yesterday but added campden tablets same time as yeast and put my air locks on the fermentation container. I am using Nottingham ale yeast. What should I do from here?

I do have some bubbles in the air locks

From what I've been told/read, you should wait 24 hours after adding the tablets before adding the yeast. With you adding both at the same time, I'd plan to add another pack of yeast after the 24 hours has passed.

OMG! That’s like tossing in a hand grenade and closing the hatch 😱 Only kidding 🤠 More like a stun grenade. Hopefully it just stresses the yeast temporarily. I suspect you’ve just delayed fermentation and it’s going to take off at some point without any intervention.

How much did you add and how did you add them?

OMG! That’s like tossing in a hand grenade and closing the hatch 😱 Only kidding 🤠 More like a stun grenade. Hopefully it just stresses the yeast temporarily. I suspect you’ve just delayed fermentation and it’s going to take off at some point without any intervention.
Thanks!

From what I've been told/read, you should wait 24 hours after adding the tablets before adding the yeast. With you adding both at the same time, I'd plan to add another pack of yeast after the 24 hours has passed.
Thanks

Were you using apples crushed ? or juice from a store?

Apples especially picked from orchard are covered in wild yeast and I just used that yeast when making my own hard cider. No nottingham no campden.
But they were English apples so some connection to nottingham and campden.

Were you using apples crushed ? or juice from a store?

Apples especially picked from orchard are covered in wild yeast and I just used that yeast when making my own hard cider. No nottingham no campden.
But they were English apples so some connection to nottingham and campden.
fresh cider from an orchard

Latest posts

Back