Campden and yeast Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elshauno

Reaction score
Well last night I ran out of bottled water so I took some water straight off the tap crushed a campden tablet added a little piece of it and brought it to a boil for a couple minutes then chilled it and added dried yeast. Now the question is since I'm not seeing any activity and fear I killed the yeast should I wait 48 to 72 hours or repitch now?

i recommend waiting. things may still take off. what do you classify as "not seeing any activity"? next question, why did you add the campden tablet to you rehydration water?

I ran out of bottled water so to avoid getting any chloramines flavors from tap water I added a little campden

the tiny amount of chloramines in the cup or so of water are going to be diluted to insignificant levels when mixed with 5 gallons of wart.

depending on exactly how much campden you put in the water you probably killed the yeast. but i would wait 3-ish days before making the call.

Actually that was my first 10 gallon batch so the chlorine involved was even more minute Oh well thanks for answering my question

Back