Calling all orchardists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I just picked up about 60lbs each of Golden Russets and Tom Putts. Problem is here in Portland OR the temps are unusually high (upper 80's) and I need to store them for at least 3 weeks before I can press. Should I just put them in my garage and hope for the best? I also have a keezer that I could cram them in but I do have some beers that need to be lagered.

Do you think they'll be ok? Hopefully the weather gets a bit cooler.

Btw- both varieties are early harvest sharps.

All I have heard about Tom Putts is that they are early season apples with late season characteristics, and that they don't ripen all at once. Golden Russets, I understand, are more of a late season variety. I have a golden russet tree, but it's too young to bear, so no experience there yet. But they are supposed to be good keepers, and if it was harvested early, it could probably use more ripening anyway, so I would just store them and keep an eye on them. Many people "sweat" the apples before pressing anyway, so it may actually produce better results to store them in the garage. I would be more worried about the Tom Putts. If they start getting a little too ripe too quickly, move them some place cooler obviously. Good luck!

with regard to the apples being ripe- you can do an iodine test as you would to determine if your mash is converted

thanks. I did measure the gravity of a few of the Golden Russets. They were all between 1.052-56. It's hard to find info about specific heirloom apples but I did stumble across something on web that said that they are similar to Ashmeads which develop a much stronger, tropical flavor when it sweats for a month or so. The flavor of the Golden reminds me a bit of Ashmeads as well. I'm excited to press them and get them fermented.
If I had access to Ashmeads I would definitely load up on them.

I made 100% Ashmead's cider last year and its the best cider I've made in 20 seasons. Can't get any of that variety this year because of late frost.

I made 100% Ashmead's cider last year and its the best cider I've made in 20 seasons. Can't get any of that variety this year because of late frost.
Bummer! My Ashmead's tree died of some canker disease, and we've started three new ones by grafting (scionwood from a different tree), but alas, it will be at least five years before we get any appreciable amount of fruit. They're my absolute favorite apples.

Latest posts

Back