Calling all Lambic brewers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePearsonFam

Reaction score
I'd like to try brewing a Lambic. I have a handle on a recipe but need some advice on the yeast. I can use something like WLP655 (Belgian Sour Mix 1) straight in the primary since it has both the yeast and bacteria in the mix, correct? More explicitly, I don't need to ferment with a straight yeast and then add the bacteria afterwards, right?

Yes, you can use that yeast. BUT...you can get a more customized flavor by separating them. Sometimes, depending on what "all-inclusive" strain you use, you can end up with a very sour beer. If that's what you're going for, then have at it.

I prefer a slightly sour beer, so I tend to use US-05 and after it's about 70-80% fermented, I'll add my bugs. Usually, I add pedio and lacto at that point and then after a month, I'll add the brett.

I've done it both ways already. I've added Wyeast 3278 that is similar to the one you mention and let that ferment and age. For a different lambic, I used the same yeast and added Pedio. For yet a different sour, I used Wyeast 1007 and added Lacto on that, after making a starter for the lacto. Like Suthrn suggests, you can do it pretty much the way you want. If you add separate strains, I think you will get a better flavor profile.

Very cool. Thanks for the help. I think I'll try a the 'all inclusive' for my first one so I have a baseline and then try separating them out for subsequent batches. I'm very much interested in knowing what I'll get from each and I love to experiment.

How do you age your hops? Paper bag trick in the attic? Buy old ones from you LHBS?

Thanks again!

You probably know already, but it hasn't been mentioned. Plan to sit on this one for at least a year. :)

Very cool. Thanks for the help. I think I'll try a the 'all inclusive' for my first one so I have a baseline and then try separating them out for subsequent batches. I'm very much interested in knowing what I'll get from each and I love to experiment.

How do you age your hops? Paper bag trick in the attic? Buy old ones from you LHBS?

Thanks again!

I age my own hops. I'll buy the types of hops I want and let them sit out for a few months before using them.

For the lambics I've made, about 1-2 years in advance, I'd add whatever low alpha acid hops I want into a bag and let them sit in the rafters of the attic.

Latest posts

Back