Call your Senators and Representatives!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeninMN

Reaction score
I've resorted to canceling magazine subscriptions and buying them from bookstores because the USPS can't manage to deliver them intact...or in some cases at all. They can't be trusted to mail anything thicker than a single sheet of paper in an envelope because to them it obviously means "cut me open and steal me." Even if they allow retailers (because it would probably just be for retailers) I would not select the USPS as an option for ordering beer online. I would pay extra to receive my mail unmolested.

Unfortunately, this bill does not provide for shipment of alcohol from anyone other than "by a licensed winery or brewery". So another option for getting beer from licensed vendors, but not official legality for homebrewers.

H.R. 1718 Text

Unfortunately, this bill does not provide for shipment of alcohol from anyone other than "by a licensed winery or brewery". So another option for getting beer from licensed vendors, but not official legality for homebrewers.

H.R. 1718 Text

That's because the wineries and breweries have the clout to get the bill sponsored in Congess. Homebrewers don't.

It's a "meh" issue anyway. UPS already delivers alcohol and is not limited to shipments from wineries and breweries.

That's because the wineries and breweries have the clout to get the bill sponsored in Congess. Homebrewers don't.

It's a "meh" issue anyway. UPS already delivers alcohol and is not limited to shipments from wineries and breweries.

Technically it is against UPS/FedEx policy, but if you don't tell them, they generally don't care/find out unless it leaks.

Well, annoying as it is in most cases, the few times that the American legislative process, and it's way of modifying bills before passage, work to the favor of the taxpayers are greatly appreciated. This could be one of them. Without making too much of a political stance, which is verboten 'round these parts, I would suggest that we ask our Congressmen to allow commercial AND non-commercial entities do the mail thingie.

I've resorted to canceling magazine subscriptions and buying them from bookstores because the USPS can't manage to deliver them intact...or in some cases at all. They can't be trusted to mail anything thicker than a single sheet of paper in an envelope because to them it obviously means "cut me open and steal me." Even if they allow retailers (because it would probably just be for retailers) I would not select the USPS as an option for ordering beer online. I would pay extra to receive my mail unmolested.

Remind me never to ship anything to VB, VA.

I am an active eBay seller (comic books mostly, but all kinds of stuff) and I have had exactly one package go missing in 13 years of eBaying. From 1" thick manilla envelopes to large boxes, I have never had problems like you seem to have. I hope I never do!

:O

They are pretty bad at my local USPS branch too. Stuff goes missing. Forklift holes in the boxes. Delivered to the wrong house. I get mail for people 3 streets away, etc. Its amazing how a package can make it from China to the branch less than 3 miles away and then it goes missing because it is going to be too much work to get it to my house.

Unfortunately they are going to make it as the other carriers do if this passes. Sending alcohol would have to be from someone who has an account that is registered as an alcohol shipper (paying more) that pays the proper alcohol taxes, etc. Then the receiver would have to show ID to prove they are 21 and there would be all manner of other BS involved. I dont think it would help us much for trades, etc.

But you have to have a contract with Fed-Ex to ship alcohol, so does that mean you have to be a commercial entity?

I've had good luck with USPS for packages but then again I always get tracking info as well. I really like that they will pickup packages from my house so I don't have to go to the hell hole that is the USPS office in my town.

But you have to have a contract with Fed-Ex to ship alcohol, so does that mean you have to be a commercial entity?

The rule doesn't state, so not sure if it must be a commercial entity. One needs to set up a Fedex account, with an "alcohol shipping agreement."

Edit: If you really want to jump into the murky waters regarding shipping alcohol, here's a good article on the subject. There still is a maze of varying state laws, and different carrier rules. So how does that apply to us? Anyone who trades beers will run into this mess. And like the title of the article, "don't ask, don't tell" is one answer.

USPS service is uniformly abysmal. Late deliveries, incorrect tracking, totally missed deliveries.
Counter help moves at glacial speed and takes breaks at busiest times.

The rule doesn't state, so not sure if it must be a commercial entity. One needs to set up a Fedex account, with an "alcohol shipping agreement."

Might just have to call them & ask about it. I'm curious to know what all must be done & if it's commercial brewers only...
**OK, I just called the Fed-Ex drop off at The Landings in Westlake, & he says to get the alcohol shipping agreement through them, you have to be a commercial entity. Also something about shipping across state lines is a no-no? That one didn't make sense?...

Honestly though, would you guys really choose USPS when you ship beer?

I've had a lot of bad experiences; no need to get into them. BUT, when I saw the USPS carrier throwing boxes (like he was shooting hoops - with great form I should add) from the sidewalk into an apartment lobby, that was the end of it for me.

Unless it's a letter, I don't trust them.

Honestly though, would you guys really choose USPS when you ship beer?

I've had a lot of bad experiences; no need to get into them. BUT, when I saw the USPS carrier throwing boxes (like he was shooting hoops - with great form I should add) from the sidewalk into an apartment lobby, that was the end of it for me.

If you pack well enough to withstand that kind of treatment, then there isn't a problem. Beer, bag, bubblewrap, cardboard wrap, more bubblewrap, styrofoam popcorn/peanuts, and a sturdy box is what I have used when shipping things, in that order. You'd pretty much have to run the box over to break something inside.

:)

I've had bad luck with the Postal Service, UPS, and Fed-Ex delivering intact packages in a timely manner. The only shipping company that has ever delivered a package to me, so that it didn't look like it had been in the middle of a Sasquatch square dance or left in the middle of the track at the Indy 500, is DHL.

Back