california common taste issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
we recently brewed a california common true brew kit. we cracked our first bottle open today 1.5 weeks in bottles. (plan to condition longer but got antsy) I looked to try to pin down a taste for this particular style of beer and am wondering if i messed up...

it is extremely hoppy and i was wondering if this was normal. this was my first actual boil. I didnt pick up any distinct off taste but from what i have been reading it should be smoother in taste. it starts off without much bite and has a heavy hoppy taste during the middle and a very dry after taste. Is this how it is supposed to be? I tried to pick up an anchor steam as an example for the taste but i have not been able to find one here. Any help on how this should taste would be greatly appreciated. I can go into greater detail about the brewing process if necessary. Thanks for your help.

Almost everything you do can influence the taste of the final product, from how much water you use in a partial boil, to the fermentation temperature. I don't know the California Comon style, but if you give it another few weeks in the bottle the hop flavor will probably mellow out a bit. The absolute worse case scenario is that the dry aftertaste is indicative of an infection, but the odds of that are about one in a million if this is your first brew and you followed basic sanitation procedures.

Bottom line: RDWHAHB!

That actually doesn't sound like you missed the mark on the beer- it'll mellow out alot, especially if you can cold condition it after it's carbonated.

What was the recipe? maybe I can pick something out.

That actually doesn't sound like you missed the mark on the beer- it'll mellow out alot, especially if you can cold condition it after it's carbonated.

What was the recipe? maybe I can pick something out.

Cool here is the partial recipe. I will get home and see the exact ingredient list on the box. For some reason they only have partial descriptions from what i can find online.

"Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast. Most others skimp and use cheaper ale yeast. That's not really Steam Style. With Crystal malt and 3 hop additions"

from what i remember it was northern brewer hops and cascade hops. cant remember the third.

I think i also might have steeped the grain to long and to high. it was averaging about 164 and we did that for ~45 minutes or so. That is the only part really where i know i might have messed up. The boil went smooth and added the hops at the appropiate times. Crash cooled in an ice bath. Took about ~14-20 minutes to get down to temperture. Was in the primary for about 3 1/2 weeks at between 66-70 degrees.

How long do you recommend cold conditiong for and at what temperture. We have a freezerator with temp control so i can make it about anything since sadly i dont have anything kegged at this time.

Once again thanks for your help.

Almost everything you do can influence the taste of the final product, from how much water you use in a partial boil, to the fermentation temperature. I don't know the California Comon style, but if you give it another few weeks in the bottle the hop flavor will probably mellow out a bit. The absolute worse case scenario is that the dry aftertaste is indicative of an infection, but the odds of that are about one in a million if this is your first brew and you followed basic sanitation procedures.

Bottom line: RDWHAHB!

I am hoping it is not that. Our sanitizing practices are probably over anal lol. I believe more of that dry taste is coming from the hops more so than an infection. Either way. It was still very enjoyable to drink i am just trying to pin down or process so i can determine if i messed up to make corrections in the future. I should of went with a beer i am more familar but you know how that goes That one caught my eye the day at the lhbs.

A dryness or astringent aftertaste can come from green beer, at least I've gotten that taste before.

Cal Common SHOULD be moderately hoppy with a crisp dry finish, so maybe you've got a beer that just needs to mellow out its rough edges with a little time.

A dryness or astringent aftertaste can come from green beer, at least I've gotten that taste before.

Cal Common SHOULD be moderately hoppy with a crisp dry finish, so maybe you've got a beer that just needs to mellow out its rough edges with a little time.

Yeah, that is what i was thinking. It is still a green, i dont doubt that. It does have the crispness though. I actually like the C02 level of it as well. It went extremely well with it without causing gas lol.

Back