Calibration and extra mash time gave efficiency boost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Wow, I just got a 10% boost in mash efficiency. Unfortunately there were two variables that changed.

A) Re-calibrated digital thermometer. It was giving some suspicious readings, had not used it in a few months.

B) Mashed for about twice the time (normally just do 60 minutes with 15 minute sparge). This time it was more like a 2 hour mash (75 minutes at 150F, 45 minutes at 158F), and 40 minutes for the sparge rinse.

What do you think? They both play a role. I'll probably mash again the same next time.

I have noticed that longer mash times usually boost my efficiency around 10%. Some people on this forum stick to the "once it's converted, it's converted" ideology and stick with 60 minute mash times, but I really think that a longer mash gives the enzymes more opportunity to get at every last starch chain, boosting your soluble sugars. If you are doing an iodine test then I suppose once the wort passes the test then there is no point in continuing the mash.

Of course, temp plays a huge role, especially your sparge temp. 40 minutes is way better than 15, some of my sparges go for 90+ minutes. A longer sparge and a higher sparge temp may boost your efficiency 10% as well.

Of course temp makes a huge difference too!

Wow, I just got a 10% boost in mash efficiency. Unfortunately there were two variables that changed.

A) Re-calibrated digital thermometer. It was giving some suspicious readings, had not used it in a few months.

B) Mashed for about twice the time (normally just do 60 minutes with 15 minute sparge). This time it was more like a 2 hour mash (75 minutes at 150F, 45 minutes at 158F), and 40 minutes for the sparge rinse.

What do you think? They both play a role. I'll probably mash again the same next time.

are you batch or fly sparging? if you fly sparge, that is where you picked up the 10 % boost. most modern malts convert in about 10 minutes at the proper ph level. by 60 - 70 minutes, you should have complete conversion in a normal mash

Back