Cali Wilfires and Hops Crops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't heard yet, but up in Napa there have been 17 deaths, thousands evacuated, so kinda caring more about that than how some plants are doing.

Sorry for being rude, but dude, at least wait a while before asking about this stuff.

Up in Napa at one point the fire was moving so fast CDF's only job was to get people evacuated. Thank god some people further from fire were paying attention, neighbors saw the fire approaching with no warning and started banging on doors to get people out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fire in Souther California too.

Craziness. Us folks on the gulf coast have hurricanes to deal with but I can’t imagine what wildfires would be like. Even more horrifying!

I don’t think there are any real commercial hop farms around here anyway (I’m in Petaluma, just south of Santa Rosa and just west of Napa, so we’re a little nervous around here), but some vineyards have been decimated, and a little further north they’re talking about whole harvests of a certain cousin of humulus lupulus gong up in smoke. This fire is really affecting everyone in the region. Lots of friends have had to evacuate, and some have lost everything. Crazy times.

Most hops come from the Yakima region in Washington state. Wildfires blew through WA back in August and September. Torched quite a bit a real estate up here. We had smoke advisories for more than a month.

Glad I only have to deal with snow and taxes here

Wildfires, Hurricanes, Tornadoes no thanks

I'd take a hurricane any day over one of those racing fires. Hope Vinnie and his crew at Russian River are out of harms way. They're right in Santa Rosa (at least the restaurant / pilot brewery is) - looks like the fires are E/SE of there. Bear Republic is above that a bit in Healdsburg.

Both breweries and their staffs are ok. Definitely some employee property loss, but both breweries are still standing.

Edit: In fact, all of the Santa Rosa breweries are still standing. Moonlight, Cooperage, and Plow were right in the line of fire, but no damages.

I have personally walked families through their neighborhoods and seen the anguish on their faces as they look at the smoldering foundation of their house after we were told to disengage and get the f**k out. If it came down to me and my crew vs any number of acres of hops/grapes/breweries, I'm choosing our safety over anything else.

It is sad to see such mature vineyards go up in smoke, but hop and grape farmers have crop and property insurance. There's no policy that can reimburse for a loved one.

I apologize for that rant, not being out working the fires is getting me down. Man I miss that job..

Craziness. Us folks on the gulf coast have hurricanes to deal with but I can’t imagine what wildfires would be like. Even more horrifying!

Well, as a certain stand-up comedian once said:

"In order to be affected by the wildfires and mudslides in Southern California, you need to live near trees or hills. I don't have that kind of money."

Yeah, down here in SoCal it has been dicey. A lot of my coworkers had been evacuated, and several lived in neighborhoods that it looked like the fires were bearing down on before the winds [thankfully] changed direction. Still, there were a few neighborhoods that were hit.

Nowhere near as bad as the destruction up north, though.

I hear what your saying, and it’s true (comedy, right?), but part of what’s so devastating about these fires is that they’ve really hit a large part of the lower income areas around here. There are, of course, tons of very well off folks who have the means and insurance to rebuild their homes, saying nothing of course about any heirlooms/irreplaceable items.
Some of the heaviest hit areas were populated by people who didn’t have those means, and mostly rented their homes. Many of them worked at the vineyards and restaurants that are burning down in Napa/Sonoma.
Anyway, natural disasters are terrible for anyone involved. I hope everyone down in SoCal is staying safe too!

Hope all is well with everyone dealing with the wildfires as well as everyone else

I live about 90 miles from the fires and you can smell the smoke, sort of like being in a camp grounds with camp fires blazing. The sky here is just a bit hazy, but I was about 20 miles closer yesterday and it looked almost like a foggy winters day you could almost not see the sun.

Both breweries and their staffs are ok. Definitely some employee property loss, but both breweries are still standing.

Edit: In fact, all of the Santa Rosa breweries are still standing. Moonlight, Cooperage, and Plow were right in the line of fire, but no damages.

Do you know if the Schultz museum and Snoopy's home Ice made it? My daughter skated there this summer and has been asking.

Ugh, that's one of the harder things about all of this. I'm really hoping that they're all ok, but the reports from the front lines are not good... Basically, a lot of unidentifiable remains... ��

Latest posts

Back