Calculating the Carbonation Contributed by Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBrew9

Reaction score
This is a curiosity based question, I'm not even planning a batch with real fruit, but one of my older batches did and the resulting carbonation was through the roof!

My question is, is there a way to determine the amount of sugar in fruit that the yeast will release CO2 from when the fruit is put directly into the Primary or Secondary Fermenter?

And yes, I am a newbie :rockin:

Well, remember that you don't bottle anyway until the fermentation is finished, so you don't calculate any carbonation contributed by fermentables added in primary or secondary.

ah yes, even I should have known that...

Thats what happenes when I think too fast lol. THanks.

Follow up question: When adding fruit to beer, the recommended method of doing so is in a secondary, correct? If that is the case, how do you determine when fermentation of the fruit is completed?
Or should the fruit just be thrown in the primary and determine the end of fermentation the regular way?

Back