Calculate brewhouse efficiency - did I do something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for a long time but I've never tried to calculate my brewhouse efficiency. I used this Brewhouse Efficiency Calculator - Brewer's Friend calculator because it seems like I'm getting a lot higher efficiency than the 75% that I have always heard is considered good. I've been using a refractometer not a hydrometer but, I have made sure to calibrate it before taking readings. My efficiency by this calculator, is 96.something! That's rather hard to believe. If it's true, great but, maybe I did something wrong. Can you guys look it over and tell me if everything's okay?

Last edited:
I'm sorry. It seems that I can't take a screenshot or whatever it's called. I gave you guys the link to the calculator that I used but, I was trying to show what values I put in the boxes and everything. I guess, I'm not that computer savvy because, I can't figure out a way to show it to you.

My efficiency by this calculator, is 96.something! That's rather hard to believe.

Yes, it is very hard to believe. There's an error somewhere in measurement, math, or grain potential assumptions. Or some combination of these.

The most common error I've seen is in not getting an accurate measurement of the volume of the wort.

Thank you for that but, I'm using an Android phone. Can you tell me how to do it from my phone?

for the record most 2 row malts are around a potential of 1.036, i think?

1666374607596.png

so honestly the math shouldn't be to hard to figure out to do yourself...

so like multi ply how many pounds of grain asuming barley by ~36, divide by how many gallons...that would be 100%

then take actual gravity, and divide it by what ever the theoretical 100% would be? sound right smart guys? ;)

Last edited:
Back