Caffeinated Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a Caffeinated beer.

Put 1# of Matcha green tea in at flame, to steep and extract. ‍

Yes. A local brewery made a fruit forward high ABV beer brewed with green coffee beans. They called it "Five Locos". Around 8% ABV and ~100mg caffeine per pour if I remember correctly.

A lb of matcha in 5 gallons at flameout would be utterly undrinkable, I think. Certainly there are any number of coffee and tea beers, but I’m not sure they have huge caffeine levels.

You can't call it Buzz Beer, or whoever owns the rights to The Drew Carey Show will probably sue you.

Couldn't you use powdered caffeine that way you could know exactly how much by volume?
I did the math, 1# of Matcha would translate to 14,700 mg in 5 gals, which would be about 275mg per 12oz bottle of beer.
Assuming 100% transfer...

I made a coffee stout with 2 gallons of cold brew concentrate. The total volume bottled was just over 5 gallons. The beer was AWESOME but I use decaf for any coffee brews now. I sat up with a neighbor 1 Thursday night and we had 4 each. The next day I felt awful. I didn't sleep well at all. After talking to my neighbor he said he too did not sleep and had a terrible hangover. It clicked that the lack of sleep was because of the coffee. I will never do that again!

I did the math, 1# of Matcha would translate to 14,700 mg in 5 gals, which would be about 275mg per 12oz bottle of beer.
Assuming 100% transfer...
Assuming 100% efficiency, I also assume you were adding for taste as well? I only suggest the powder as it wouldn't impart any flavors(to my knowledge).

Assuming 100% efficiency, I also assume you were adding for taste as well? I only suggest the powder as it wouldn't impart any flavors(to my knowledge).

Matcha wouldn’t impart any flavor? How do you figure? It’s intensely flavored, and that would be using it at a ratio several times stronger than that used for making tea.

Edit: oh, I see, you were talking about powdered pure caffeine.

I would be very curious to see how anhydrous caffeine powder (available on amazon i think) would work in beer. I am pretty sure caffeine in general imparts a very bitter flavor so you'd have to take that into account. With the powder you could just add however many grams you want to bring a 12oz sample of something you've already brewed to taste test with.

Back