Cacao nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
i'm doing an oatmeal stout. its already in the primary. i want to add chochlate to it, but im passed boiling. im thinking about adding 4.0 ounces of cacao nips when i move to secondary.

They're "nibs" not nips and that is one of the things Sam Adams does with their Chocolate Bock.

It was a 5 gal batch and I left them for about 2 weeks. Gave a subtle falvor that seemed to grow the further into the glass you got.

For quicker flavoring from cocoa nibs, make a tincture with a neutral, high quality vodka. Take 4 oz of cocoa nibs, put them in a container, and then add enough vodka to cover. Every couple days, shake the container. After a week, you've got a homemade chocolate extract. Add to the bottling bucket or keg to taste.

BTW, some cocoa nibs are unroasted in the package. If the one you buy is unroasted, throw them into a small skillet, and roast over medium heat, moving them constantly. They'll start to brown up, and that's time to pull them off the heat.

Back