C02 Tank Recertify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerdx

Reaction score
My tank is stamped 02/09. I understand it is 5 years but shouldn't it be good till end of February? I got one filled today and they charged me to recertify and then forgot to restamp it. And overcharged me as well. Charged me for 20 and I'm pretty sure mine is a 10lb steel tank. Total height is 20.5" and 7" diameter and weighs 32lb full. Anyone know the details?

In NH, USA, from AirGas, usually we buy a small cyl.,(the large cyls are rented, the small are sold. I don't know about a refund when no longer using???), trade it in for full when empty, paying for only the gas, and the vendor does the hydroing. Further, I don't recall seeing a hydro date on mine(N2 gas). The Mgr. told me they are concerned only if the cyl appears to have been in a fire. Dunno. Call and ask before buying. All the specs you need should be freely available, or go elsewhere.

they did tell me every 5 years to recertify a c02 tank. But it is stamped 02/09 and I thought it should be good untill the end of February. Like a propane tank

Unfortunately, it sounds like you got ripped off to me. Based on the dimensions and weight, you should have a 10lb steel cylinder. I would go back and at least have them stamp it to show it has been re-certified, or you may pay the fee again when filling.

My tank is stamped 02/09. I understand it is 5 years but shouldn't it be good till end of February? I got one filled today and they charged me to recertify and then forgot to restamp it. And overcharged me as well. Charged me for 20 and I'm pretty sure mine is a 10lb steel tank. Total height is 20.5" and 7" diameter and weighs 32lb full. Anyone know the details?

If they charged you to recertify, then take it back with your invoice and show them their mistake. Make then stamp it. Also point out the size of the tank and what they charged you for filling it.

I did verify that it is a 10 lb tank as it is stamped on the brass valve the tare weight and full weight. Went back to Liquid Air and the refunded me with no Questions asked. They said it should not be done till after the end of the month stamped. I don't even think they tested it as it still had the old collar around the neck from when I bought it.

Back