Filling Co2 Tanks at Home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSing

Reaction score
The cost of exchanging a 20# Co2 tank was only a few dollars more than the 10# tank that fits into my beer fridge, so I purchased a used 20# tank for $25 on CL and a Co2 fill station.

Here's the fill station I bought. I've used it a couple of times and it works really well. It comes with basic instructions and o-rings to make the seal on both tanks.

[Obsolete link removed --Mod]

Be sure to weigh the tank you're filling as you're filling it so you don't overfill it. There is a tare weight (TW) stamped on the tank you're filling. See below for picture. That's the weight of the tank when it is empty. Add the size of the tank to that number and that is your fill weight. For example, the TW of my empty steel 10# tank is 16.3 pounds, so my fill weight will be 26 pounds. To get the tank to fill completely, put it in the freezer for a few hours. If you don't freeze it, you'll only get about 80% of fill, which is not a big deal other than you'll be filling more often. The supply tank should also be higher than the tank you're filling. I'd also recommend wearing at least safety glasses and gloves.

The supply tank will need a dip tube installed to flow liquid Co2 instead of gas Co2. The alternative is turning the supply tank upside down so liquid will flow. Exchanging tanks with a dip tube is a hassle so I went with option B. Flipping a 20# high pressure vessel upside down and keeping it steady is a good way to ask for trouble and be nominated for a Darwin Award, so I built a simple stand. It also helps store the 20# safely when it is not in fill mode. Here's some pictures.

20191113_051630.jpg
20191113_045934_1573639652393_resized.jpg
20191113_050117_1573639652053_resized.jpg
20191113_050156_1573639651465_resized.jpg
20191113_050255_1573639650896_resized.jpg

Just remember the tank you're filling still needs a hydro test every 5 years. Do not fill tanks that are outside of the hydro date!! The date of the last hydro is also stamped on the tank.

Like everything we do for the hobby, do your homework and decide if you're willing to take on the risk and expense, but for me it worked out really well and gives me more options.

~HopSing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cost of exchanging a 20# Co2 tank was only a few dollars more than the 10# tank that fits into my beer fridge, so I purchased a used 20# tank for $25 on CL and a Co2 fill station.

Here's the fill station I bought. I've used it a couple of times and it works really well. It comes with basic instructions and o-rings to make the seal on both tanks.

Kel-tec ks7 12 gauge pump shell holder with mount aluminum home defense tactical 671983911487 | eBay

Be sure to weigh the tank you're filling as you're filling it so you don't overfill it. There is a tare weight (TW) stamped on the tank you're filling. See below for picture. That's the weight of the tank when it is empty. Add the size of the tank to that number and that is your fill weight. For example, the TW of my empty steel 10# tank is 16.3 pounds, so my fill weight will be 26 pounds. To get the tank to fill completely, put it in the freezer for a few hours. If you don't freeze it, you'll only get about 80% of fill, which is not a big deal other than you'll be filling more often. The supply tank should also be higher than the tank you're filling. I'd also recommend wearing at least safety glasses and gloves.

The supply tank will need a dip tube installed to flow liquid Co2 instead of gas Co2. The alternative is turning the supply tank upside down so liquid will flow. Exchanging tanks with a dip tube is a hassle so I went with option B. Flipping a 20# high pressure vessel upside down and keeping it steady is a good way to ask for trouble and be nominated for a Darwin Award, so I built a simple stand. It also helps store the 20# safely when it is not in fill mode. Here's some pictures.

View attachment 652370 View attachment 652371 View attachment 652372 View attachment 652373 View attachment 652374

Just remember the tank you're filling still needs a hydro test every 5 years. Do not fill tanks that are outside of the hydro date!! The date of the last hydro is also stamped on the tank.

Like everything we do for the hobby, do your homework and decide if you're willing to take on the risk and expense, but for me it worked out really well and gives me more options.

~HopSing.
Glad I found your post. I am going to purchase an 20 lb aluminum CO2 tank and strictly use it to refill my 5 lb tanks. I wasn’t sure whether to get a "dip tube" tank or not. My metal 20 lb tank is a challenge turning it upside down and then refilling the others. (But it does have a plastic guard/carry handle on it which helps with stability). Your post cleared up everything I was looking to know. Do you use Food Grade CO2?

Reality Check here: I have a 20 pound siphon tank from AirGas, and unless you have a lock on a company that will reliably refill your shiny new aluminum cylinder (and not beat the snot out of it when it needs its 5 year hydro test) you would be better served going to your local specialty gas company and get on board with one of their 20 pound siphon tanks. Swap it when needed, you won't be responsible for certification testing, and you won't have to deal with wonky cradles.

It would be a ***** to have to wave Buh Bye to a brand new cylinder because nobody does refills near you...

Cheers!

Reality Check here: I have a 20 pound siphon tank from AirGas, and unless you have a lock on a company that will reliably refill your shiny new aluminum cylinder (and not beat the snot out of it when it needs its 5 year hydro test) you would be better served going to your local specialty gas company and get on board with one of their 20 pound siphon tanks. Swap it when needed, you won't be responsible for certification testing, and you won't have to deal with wonky cradles.

It would be a ***** to have to wave Buh Bye to a brand new cylinder because nobody does refills near you...

Cheers!
It would be a Bummer to have them beat da hell outta a new aluminum cylinder when Hydro-ing it. I do have an AirGas and Gas and Supply located within 2 miles of me who refills my Steel tank. That steel tank (that they swapped out for me) looks pretty rough. I’m just concerned what the inside might look like. I’d have a "Peace of Mind" getting a new aluminum siphon tank knowing its clean and much lighter. No more flipping the "Steel Beast" upside down to refill my 5 gallon tanks. My Aching back would thank me too. Might go for it. But I will confirm that they will Refill it first
Slainté
🍺 🍺

Last edited:
@Bayou Fatma Brewer You may also want to check to see what they charge for the 5 year hydro then do the math of purchasing a new tank and having it refilled and hydro'd vs. getting into their tank exchange program or purchasing a used tank and exchanging it. The tank exchange program has no hydro test charges. They should always provide you with a current hydro tested tank.

As for dip tube vs. no dip tube, the other downside of the dip tube (siphon) is unless you have pump (rare) you won't get the entire contents from the source tank. There will always be some residual CO2 in the source tank once the pressure between the source tank and the tank you're filling equalizes. When my source 20# tank won't fill my 10# tank anymore, I hook it up to the kegerator until it goes flat. I'll typically get 3-4 kegs before I put back the 10# tank and take the 20# tank to be exchanged. You won't be able to do that with a dip tube tank.

So it boils down to if building the rack to more safely invert the standard tank is worth it for you. Either way filling your other tanks from a 20# tank is the right way to go.

Good luck!

~HopSing.

Back