BYO's Ruthless Rye recipe vs SN version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatsyukianDeke

self-proclaimed
Reaction score
BYO's recipe shows hop additions as AAU while SN's recipe lists ounces. If I' figuring right, I end up with much smaller hop quantities (about 2.23 oz) using AAUs than the 5.5 oz in the SN version.

Which is correct?

What do you mean the SN version, did they post a recipe somewhere? If the BYO version you reference is the 2012 article where they interview Ken Grossman I see 2 oz in dry hop plus the boil additions listed in AAU that should add up to about another 2.5 or so. I would assume they got input from the brewers for that one.

You'd think the recipe from the source would be the good one, but eyeballing it I gotta say it looks like that is going to come out a lot higher than 55 IBU. Have you plugged it in to software? If it were me I'd probably follow all their late addition recommendations and adjust the Bravo to hit 55 IBU.

Try cutting the hop additions in the boil in half. When I did, the IBU dropped to 66.5. I think I'll leave the dry hop amounts alone.

BYO Version: http://imgur.com/hua6ZnC

I went with the BYO version. Ended up using .54 oz Bravo (14.8%) @ 90', .75 oz US Magnum (12.4%) @ 15' and .69 oz Chinook (13.1%) and .25 oz US Magnum @ 5'. Brewer's Friend is giving me 57 IBUs with these additions. We'll see how it turns out.

Hit 1.014 after about a week and just dry-hopped with 2 oz Chinook, .885 oz US Magnum and 1 oz Bravo. If I can get to my LHBS this week I'll grab an ounce of Citra to throw in.

I know this is from a while ago but how did the rye come out? Was it close to the original? Pretty interested in trying a ruthless rye brew

Back