buying used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
I just bought 3 used cornies. The guy I bought them from hasn't used them in a couple years. They all were sealed and still had a dab of beer in them. The beer actually smelled pretty good, the seals all look good, they hold pressure, etc.

Can I just clean REALLY good and go?
Should I disassemble and recondition?
What about the dip tube? Can I run oxyclean solution though it and follow with sanitizer?

treat it like a used keg you get online. replace all the O-rings and clean everything over night with PBW (or oxyclean).

how much you pick those up for?

I have a source thats charging $10 a keg im thinking about picking up 3 or 4 for the future as I believe thats a good deal.

-=Jason=-

At 10 a keg get a bunch it is well worth it. If i had that source i would have at least 10 sitting in my shop.

treat it like a used keg you get online. replace all the O-rings and clean everything over night with PBW (or oxyclean).

So take it apart? Like pull the diptube and such or just fill 'er up and let it sit?
And how much OC powder per gallon? 'cleaning kegs' isn't one of the options on the back of the tube.

I have a source thats charging $10 a keg im thinking about picking up 3 or 4 for the future as I believe thats a good deal.

-=Jason=-

$600 got the following.

(2) 5# CO2 tanks
(3) cornies
(1) kegerator (legit, not homemade)
(2) regulators
(1) sanke keg that was still in the kegerator
(2) keggles
(4) 6.5 gallon ale pails
(6) carboys
(2) bottling buckets
Misc. brushes, spoons, thermometers, hydrometer, a false bottom for the keggle, taps for both sanke and cornies (multiple), along with a handfull of misc other tap handles, bottle cappers, air locks, stoppers and general nonsense.

Nothing wrong with taking it down and replacing every o-ring and seal, the way to go. That said, I've used every used Keg as is with no problem. The o-rings looked good and sealed so I cleaned sanitized and used. No Problem.

-=Jason=-

At that price, i'd grab as many as i could get/afford. Its cheaper to buy complete kegs for cheap than it is to buy replacement parts (lids, posts, PRV, etc). So if you're going to use 4...a couple extra "in case" or for parts would be good. :mug:

jmac00 for me I have a mini fridge i believe i can fit 2 cornies in so I was thinking of buying 3 or 4. I have a freezer that would be greate for a kreezer I picked up at a yard sale price was $100 I offered $50 and took it home. not sure if I wifely would let me convert it, but it would probably hold at least 4/5 plus co2 tank.

I have yet to buy any beer equipment so spending all money on cornies is not in my best interest.

-=Jason=-

you could buy the kegs for $10..which is cheap..keep however many you need/want....resell for more as these are getting harder and harder to find....then use the money you made to fund your other beer equipment. ;)

damn maybe I need to just buy one 15.5 gal keg to start off and 10 5gal cornies

I like the sound of that.

-=Jason=-

EDIT I just called they have excess kegs and have the price low to get rid of them. I'll be buying 10 or 12 of them keep what I want and sell the rest to make a buck.

Back