Buying a new truck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody knows me knows that I hate spending money unnecessarily. But it's time. I need a new truck. The truck I have now is fine (a 2004 Silverado Z71 4WD) but it has nearly 80,000 miles and I'm ready for a new one.

The problem is- there isn't really one truck that I want! I've narrowed my choices down to a new Silverado Z71 or a Toyota Tundra Double Cab. The Toyota is cheaper, and I'm leaning that way. I didn't like the Dodge or the Ford and I didn't like the dealers or salesmen either.

I like the dealerships for both the Toyota and Chevy, and both are almost exactly equipped except that the Toyota has 18" tires. The Chevy is about $1000 more, even with the rebates, incentives, "retention program", etc. The gas mileage is about the same, and the options are a wee bit nicer in the Toyota.

But-------------whoa. The cost! I bought a HOUSE for less, not that many years ago. My checkbook hurts just thinking about it. But I think we'll have a new truck in a couple of days.

My '02 Blazer has 215,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I don't want a new truck and most likely won't get a new one until I absolutely have to. When it's time for a new truck I'm most likely going with a late 60's/early 70's Chevy C10.

Best of luck to you and post pics once you get the new truck.

i got a tundra double cab recently, very nice truck, its hard finding one that doesnt have every option available though.

Everybody i know raves about their Toyota truck.

There is also the (original BBC) Top Gear test. I'm not sure they have been able to render a toyota truck inoperable. If terrorists/rebels/warlords/drug runners/pirates etc cant destroy one in the third world, that tells me they are pretty dependable.

I think they are also are the highest percentage American built truck.

Yooper....

Go with the Toyota.

One big factor to keep in mind are residual values and what the trucks are both going to be worth when you trade them in.

Silverado residual value after 3 years or 36 months is only 43% (which is super low) and the Tundra residual value after 3 years is 57%.

The Tundra is going to hold it's value infinitely better than any other truck on the market and the reason being because of the low amounts of problems that anyone driving them has.

In my opinion, this is a no brainer.

You're going to be happier with a Tundra over the long term and the overall quality is hard to beat.

If you have any questions about buying a new truck, feel free to PM me anytime. I am a Toyota/Honda salesman and I can answer any questions you might have. I might be a bit biased towards Toyota, but I feel 100% that it would be the best deal in the end!

Yooper....

Go with the Toyota.

One big factor to keep in mind are residual values and what the trucks are both going to be worth when you trade them in.

Silverado residual value after 3 years or 36 months is only 43% (which is super low) and the Tundra residual value after 3 years is 57%.

The Tundra is going to hold it's value infinitely better than any other truck on the market and the reason being because of the low amounts of problems that anyone driving them has.

In my opinion, this is a no brainer.

You're going to be happier with a Tundra over the long term and the overall quality is hard to beat.

If you have any questions about buying a new truck, feel free to PM me anytime. I am a Toyota/Honda salesman and I can answer any questions you might have. I might be a bit biased towards Toyota, but I feel 100% that it would be the best deal in the end!

Thanks! I'm going to buy the Toyota, at least as of now.

The dealer is about 45 miles away, with a good service record (although the salesman is the typical sleezy car salesman, sorry to say! At least in appearance, with the open V-necked shirt down to his nipples). Anyway, at first it seemed so BIG.

But after seriously taking a measuring tape and measuring it, it's just the 18" tires that make it seem so high! The tailgate is higher, and I feel like I can barely see over it as I'm only 5'5". But the inside is roomy, the truck feels solid with no "chink" sound as I close the doors (unlike the Dodge) and with it being less expensive but a bit nicer I am going that way.

Not to mention my 22 month old grandson, who went shopping with me, likes the "blue truck". :D

232,000 on an 01 Nissan Fronty. Oh sure, I've had and have done some maintenance and some repairs. It aint exactly been weld the hood shut and drive. It has though been a very good truck. Probably a bit smaller than you're looking for.

I worked with a guy who has a Titan and my neighbor had one. They both love(d) them. The mpg is the issue. It's not the best. Gobs of power and well built, however.

40G get you a nice one.

I used to drive a tundra owned by my work to transport documents and equipment between locations here in Vegas. I seriously loved that truck and wanted so badly to buy it when my work stopped the runner service.

I also worked as a valet for many years, so I've driven plenty of silverados also. It it were me I would get the tundra for sure. GM trucks are nice, but I find their interiors to be very lacking compared to toyota trucks. No just in immenities, but in pure quality. Almost every GM I've been in that was more than 6 or 7 years old had the coating flaking off the buttons for the power windows and radio controls. I don't know if you've seen that problem with your silverado? Plus the Toyota is going to keep it's value better, so if you feel bad about paying so much for a truck, then I definitely think it's important to consider what you're going to be able to sell it for in the future.

Yota's are legit. If I wasn't set on a diesel, I would have gotten one. That being said, I'm very happy with my 3/4 ton Ram. I think you're going to be happy with your new truck though.

Both great trucks. I was stuck between both myself several years ago and went with the Tundra and havnt regretted it once! It was the small things that did it for me-
-bluetooth to stream phone calls and music from phone
-shock in bed so tailgate doesn't slam down
-USB port in stereo
-rear seats decline (crew cab)
-rear window rolls down (crew cab)
-payment website makes arranging truck payments super easy and user friendly
-all the nifty storage compartments
-bolt on factory super charger that won't void warranty taking up to approx 500 hp (wish I could!)
-payed extra 1500 for an extended warranty
-payed another 1500 to cover all maintenance up to 55k miles (both highly recommend!)

Can't say enough about the truck, obviously I recommend the crew cab which my brother nicknamed the redneck limo due to all the room it has! Also it's a Toyota which have a great rep to run forever.

I recently bought a 2012 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4, all decked out. Amazing pickup. I was looking at the Tundra, just a tad too big for my needs... but I certainly liked it!!!

Thanks for all the input!

My current truck looks almost new, except for a few scratches where parking in the woods scratched some paint on the side. It hasn't had any issues, inside or out. We still haven't decided whether we'll trade it in or sell it outright.

We don't care about bluetooth and things, but both trucks have the same IPOD/bluetooth/MP3 "stuff" in them. The only "person" who ever rides in the backseat is our 85 pound lab. But he goes everywhere we go, and he doesn't complain about roominess. :D

The Toyota comes with free 2 year roadside assistance and maintainence, but since the dealer is 45 miles away we probably won't do oil changes and stuff there.

We're going to decide by tomorrow, I think.

BUY A FORD!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I use to be a GM exclusive guy but when we looked for trucks in 2009 we found the GM trucks far behind both Ford and Toyota in regards to technology. In fact the trucks weren't all that different than the 2002 I was driving. I ended up going Ford, which I thought would never happen in my life.

With that being said, I still am not impressed with the GM trucks but I really like the Tundras. GM in my opinion needs to do a complete overhaul of their trucks. The body style hasn't changed in years and the interior Is still nearly identical to my old '02.

Only 80,000? Admit it, you just want a new truck! We just bought a new Ram 2500 Heavy Duty a week and a half ago. We needed something bigger to pull the camper. I wanted Ford, but the Dodge's were more affordable and available. (Could not come across a F-250 Super Duty with quad cab to save my life). I'm liking it so far, although I'm probably being way to gentle on a truck like that. I've never had a brand new vehicle before, and probably never will again. It's too stressful. Used ones at least already have that first scratch or ding :) I am excited however to pull the camper and not even notice it as opposed to fearing the hills in my old F150.

Good luck on the purchase! We missed a good deal on a 2011 Tundra by about 2 hours. I had sat in it the day before thinking it was so nice, but I could never afford a Tundra. (No sticker on it). Then we saw the add the next day for it with the price and rushed down to the dealer. SOLD. :mad: Very beautiful trucks!

I've never been much of a fan of GM stuff. Some of the older stuff was made pretty good, but I've seen WAY too many issues with electronics doign crazy things and other stupid things that cause grief for the owner. Almost equates to Microsoft's "better thinking". They know what's best for you so live with it..

I'd probably buy a Ford or Dodge (Ram), but I've heard nothing but good things from Toyotas as well. As far as I'm concerned, you current truck is just broke in. We bought our Durango with 108,000 miles on it and it currently has 225,000. Still running fine, though showing a small amount of oil use (couple of quarts between changes) and some rust. 80,000 Miles is nothing by today's standards.

I've never been much of a fan of GM stuff. Some of the older stuff was made pretty good, but I've seen WAY too many issues with electronics doign crazy things and other stupid things that cause grief for the owner. Almost equates to Microsoft's "better thinking". They know what's best for you so live with it..

2003 Sierra 2500HD, here. Only non-routine maintenance issue I have had is a dirty MAF sensor. Cleaner from a can and it's all good again.

Now I sit with 97k+ miles and have a leaky backflow valve in the fuel pump.

80k 2004. No need for a new truck. I drive a 91 Chevy with 155k. Yes I had to change the clutch but that was far cheaper then what they want for new. At least get a two year old model. Let someone else loose the thousands of dollars of a new rig being drove of the lot. Then use the money you save and fly to Belgium to get Westy 12s.

Had a 92 Sub with 236k on it ... It did have the tranny rebuilt and a water pump ... other than that .. fired right up. Now I have a 93 shortbed 179k ... O2 sensor is all. Had an 01 Z71 SLT and I did nothing to it but general maintenance and it had 117k when I sold it to pay off some bills. Still wish I had that truck.

I have rode in all the trucks mentioned. My brother in law own a Tundra loaded to the gills. Nice ride. My in-laws own a new Ford crew cab with that eco boost V6 ... HOLY CRAP that thing is strong for a 6. My other BIL owns a Dodge 3/4 crew with the cummins. Only way I would buy a Dodge. Other than that no way in hell would I buy one. And then my dad wholesales cars and has had a few Titans. Tons of power but neither of these seemed to get the MPG I got out of my GMC.

Yoop get the one YOU like. Either of those will do you right. I will say you have plenty of life left in that Z ... hell they dont recommend changing the spark plugs on those till 100k.

For re-sale the Tundra will be much better than the GM.

I never cared for the brakes of the new Tundra's. I've driven two of them quite a bit, and they are both the same.

Just make sure it's got enough payload capacity to haul Paulie's fat ass around next month. We can just toss him in the bed.

Sorry, I'll have the little Elantra next month. But it's a very roomy trunk and Paul's drunk ass will easily fit in the trunk. Not you, though. You're too tall!

Well, I put my truck on Craigslist last night and cleaned it up a bit. I drove it to work today, and I thought, "Damn! This is a nice truck!"

But I'm not keeping it. If all goes well, we'll get the Toyota tomorrow.

A bit late to this thread to give advice, but good choice and Congrats on getting a new vehicle!

I may be biased, I work at a Toyota dealership :ban:

I bought a chevy quad cab z71 last year and absolutely love it. I admit I have never driven a Toyota but I have had several ford trucks (pos) and a suburban (200,000 troublefree miles). I chose the chevy because the dodge, ford and Toyota box sides are so damn high. I'm 6 foot and had a hard time reaching into them to grab anything. My friend bought a new ford right before me and I hated the interior it seemed cheap as hell. This is the first expensive new vehicle I ever bought and I don't regret it all. I tow a couple of different trailers and I swear the 6 speed transmission in this thing can read my mind. I'm shocked the Toyota is cheaper, when I was shopping they were way more than the others. Wait till you get the first scratch or dent after paying all that money. I seriously almost cried.

For re-sale the Tundra will be much better than the GM.

I never cared for the brakes of the new Tundra's. I've driven two of them quite a bit, and they are both the same.

Thats odd .. Chevy's brakes are a knockoff of the Yotas. They both have that weird disc/drum for the rear. Main rear brakes are disc ... parking brake is the drum.

The Toyota comes with free 2 year roadside assistance and maintainence,

That's a gimic!!!! Everyone knows Toyota's don't need maintenance! :D

Every 5k I keep looking in my 'yota owners manual thinking I need to be doing something other than oil/filter change. Not so much....

Thats odd .. Chevy's brakes are a knockoff of the Yotas. They both have that weird disc/drum for the rear. Main rear brakes are disc ... parking brake is the drum.

Is that like the rear brakes on my daughters 1999 regal? I just inspected them and they are disc, but there is a kind of shoe for the Parking brake that tightens against the inside of the rotor...

I haven't had a GM in a number of years and this was the first I've seen of it. I kind of like it. Simple design and looks easy to work on.

I used drive a 02 Ford F-150 as my work for a couple years and it was alright. The company purchased new Ford Rangers and I really liked them. They were smaller but I liked how they handled. The new Ford/Chevy/GM trucks seem huge to me. I can't believe how much larger the 2012 F-150 model is compared to the 02 model I drove for work.

I'm intrigued by the Toyota Tacomas though. I'd like the overall size of it and I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about it, yet.

Well, the mighty 1997 Nissan Quest which hauled my family and assorted hangers-on for the past 15 years officially died today. The final ailment was a leak in the cooling system, which I'm sure could be fixed, but then there's the oil leak, the front brakes, the engine mounts, etc. 180,000 miles of hauling my children since they were 5 and 3 years old. The most reliable, trouble free vehicle I've ever owned.

Off to the local Ford dealer tonight - got financing from my bank in my pocket already. Second new car I've bought in the last six months, after having not bought a new car in 9 years.

Back