Which New Truck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
My 2001 Nissan Frontier with 203,000 miles has needed some work lately. Just lately, though. Most of it's life has been repair free. It got a tune up, new belts, new trans fluid and the ordinary oil change type stuff all as routine maint.

Over the past 3 years, starting when it had around 165,000 miles, it's needed new brakes and components of, the A/C repaired, fan clutch and water pump replaced, O2 sensor replaced, new battery cables and a few hoses. It now has a small oil leak that seems to be the main seal and it looses radiator fluid at random times. Heat on or off, drive fast or slow, short or long distance- doesn't matter. Some days, it doesn't leak at all. I suspect it's a hose from the heater core. That's going to be a booger to get to. Gas mileage has slipped a little and I can't seem to get it back. Used to get a good 21 even 23 mpg on the highway. That's higher than rated. Now gets 18-20.

And the headliner is held up by tacks. That's really the worst of its looks. Despite being in three minor accidents, not counting run over bushes and only being repaired from one, it looks real good. We bought this with 3 miles on it and it's been our most reliable vehicle ever.

Long story to say, I may need a new truck soon. Another Frontier would be the rational choice. Toyotas live forever, too. Those new Dodge Dakotas look nice and my buddy loves his. If you were new truck shopping, and not for full size but mid to small size, what would you buy?

I love the tacoma, and I'm a die-hard MOPAR person. I'd love to get an extended cab or quad cab tacoma with the 6-speed manual. Great trucks, run forever.

My friends uncle had an old toyota pickup that turned the odometer over 10 times (1,000,000 miles). Toyota actually traded him a new tacoma for that truck so they could do research on it. BUT, I am a ford man all the way and would STRONGLY advise getting a ranger 4x4. They are awesome trucks.

I have a 2002 Frontier. Being that it spent most of it's life in Hawaii it still has less than 70K on it. That being said if I were going to buy a mid-sized truck, I think it'd be the Tacoma hands down. It's a bad-ass looking rig with a few mods.

Personally though, I'm waiting for the day when the F-150 gets a diesel in it. I like my Frontier, but it's a bit cramped esp, when me and my sons make a road trip.

I don't like trucks or SUV's. They are hard to see around, or over, and so they create an arms race where everybody needs bigger and taller vehicles to see over everybody else's bigger/taller vehicle. And as a result, we get worse gas mileage and a higher center of gravity that results in more rollovers. I'm no environmentalist. I don't believe we should all be driving around in Priuses (Prii?). It's not that there's anything wrong with SUV's, It's just a shame that the SUV craze had to hit our country. Anyway, what's done is done and I honestly truly believe that if you're going to buy an SUV, you'd be foolish not to buy the biggest, baddest SUV you can buy. This leaves a couple of choices.

For emphasis on "sport", there's the Jeep Rubicon and maybe Hummers if you're into that sort of thing...

For emphasis on utility, there's the GMC Kodiak. Seriously. First off, it's big. Big enough to be bad ass no matter what anybody else drives. Secondly, it can be made pretty luxurious. Thirdly, it'll be custom-made to your specs which is just cool.

I mean, personally, I'd buy a station wagon unless I really needed the utility, or off road capability. But if I was dead set on an SUV because I had some notion that I had to have one, or because I believed that they were truly more practical than a station wagon (most actually have less cargo capacity than a similarly-sized wagon), then I would get the biggest and the baddest.

As I see it, if you're going to be part of the problem, you might as well be leading the charge... Yes, I am serious. I would love to have a Kodiak for occasional trips to home depot and whatnot. It would freakin rock. And for even more street cred, get the V8 turbodiesel version. Hell yes.

home_page_banner.jpg

Here's one up for auction on eBay. 2 years old, 6,600 miles with an UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty until 08/2010, crew cab to seat 6 it looks like and the turbodiesel V8 motor. Seriously, I would think a truck like this could hit a half a million miles. Far more stout than your average silly SUV. I guess you'd have to change the back though unless you were towing like a horsetrailer. I've seen them done as pickups which I think would be more practical, but if you look around, you'll find one. The Buy It Now on this one is $57,500, but you could probably get it for cheaper. It'd probably be best to find one that's already outfitted the way you want. FWIW, I think new ones can be had for around $60K or so (remember, you buy the frame and they are custom built).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-...886QQitemZ120390708886QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Ford, huh? Never had much luck with them. New or used.

The Frontier is a bit crowded in the cab, even with the king cab. Those two rumble seats back there are best kept flipped up to get the extra storage space. The four door/crew cab has less bed space. Not the trade off we're looking for. Still though, the king cab is nicer than a wider cab with out it. I really don't miss the bench seat of my old Dodge Prospector or Ram 150.

Looking at prices today, they can keep them all.

A 2009 Nissan Frontier with rear wheel drive, 6 cylinder and automatic (wife doesn't know manuals and I like autos) starts at around $21,000. A similar Dodge Dakota is around $24,000. Toyota Pre Runner, $22,000. Ford Ranger Sport, will top $20,000. Chevy Colorado, $20,000+ easily. Mitsubishi Raider is $21,000+ and I have no idea how well their trucks are. Isuzu doesn't seem to offer much in trucks for what I want. Suzuki Equator goes for over $21,000. Their motorcycles seem good. I like mine.

Maybe I'll get a wagon. A red one. With a handle in the front.

Growing up my, all my old man wanted were dodge dakotas. He had 4 of them and between the 4 he put 3 motors 2 transmissions and a rear end in one. Not to mention the first one he had kept frying distributor pickups. I don't know if there better these days but I have never seen a chrysler product that was durable.

I have a 98 dakota, will not buy another one No major problems just don't like it all that much. Standard oil changes, Replaced Ball Joints and tie rods changed tranny fluid, lugs and wires. That's really all. Oh, and the Light Switch had to be replaced from wearing out. So yeah nothing Huge yet (155,000) just some minor annoyances. Got a brand new one with 30 miles on it last year as a rental, would not buy one of those either.

if I could buy a truck right now I'd buy a 4 door Colorado. Hopefully in the next year or two I'll be able to. c'mon Economy:)

And then SirHumpsalot chimes in while I'm posting.

I like a truck for it's utility and ground clearance. A lot of my furniture got here in my own truck. Not a delivery truck. When I want yard stuff like dirt, in my truck it goes. It's less expensive and more convenient that way. Some places don't deliver at all. You bring your own truck, rent one or go pay more elsewhere that does deliver. Not drowning if, no, when the road floods is nice too. And if need be, I can toss some lawn equipment in my truck and go make a few bucks. Truck cargo beds have no roof. Sky's the limit, laws of physics applied within reason and defeated by ropes and straps.

As for fuel mileage, we could exhaust ourselves finding cars and trucks that get better and worse mileage than each other. Yes, cars will win when someone pulls out a Prius or Volkswagen or Kia. Then I'll argue they can't do what so and so truck can. And then, and then...

But ya know why I really drive a truck? Penis size. I drive a small truck to compensate for my large penis. :rockin:

Now a wagon, that's a real consideration, 'cept for that roof over the bed.

And then SirHumpsalot chimes in while I'm posting.

I like a truck for it's utility and ground clearance. A lot of my furniture got here in my own truck. Not a delivery truck. When I want yard stuff like dirt, in my truck it goes. It's less expensive and more convenient that way. Some places don't deliver at all. You bring your own truck, rent one or go pay more elsewhere that does deliver. Not drowning if, no, when the road floods is nice too. And if need be, I can toss some lawn equipment in my truck and go make a few bucks. Truck cargo beds have no roof. Sky's the limit, laws of physics applied within reason and defeated by ropes and straps.

As for fuel mileage, we could exhaust ourselves finding cars and trucks that get better and worse mileage than each other. Yes, cars will win when someone pulls out a Prius or Volkswagen or Kia. Then I'll argue they can't do what so and so truck can. And then, and then...

But ya know why I really drive a truck? Penis size. I drive a small truck to compensate for my large penis. :rockin:

Now a wagon, that's a real consideration, 'cept for that roof over the bed.
My thoughts as. I owned two cars before getting my truck. i never want to own a car again. I love having the truck bed. I don't use it everyday but probably once every month or so. It's just convenient.
Plus I love how easy it is to back up in a truck with nothing blocking your view!

My thoughts as. I owned two cars before getting my truck. i never want to own a car again. I love having the truck bed. I don't use it everyday but probably once every month or so. It's just convenient.
Plus I love how easy it is to back up in a truck with nothing blocking your view!

Not to mention when you got 4wd you can point and laugh when the clown cars are spinning out or getting stuck in the snow.

Not to mention when you got 4wd you can point and laugh when the clown cars are spinning out or getting stuck in the snow.

This is true, but not really necessary in my area. The 3 days a year we might get that kind of snow are not worth the extra money for the 4WD

4 wheel drive does not equal traction control, nor does it equal skid control. When the weather gets bad, I generally see a higher proportion of 4 wheel drives spun out. Most of the time around here when the weather gets bad, it's the guys in the 4x4's who are traveling the fastest. Well guess what... once you've gotten up to speed, the 4 wheel drive isn't going to help you any more... if you gotta brake or turn, you're just as susceptible to physics as everyone else... Personally, I'd rather find out that traction sucks while I'm accelerating than while I'm slamming on the brakes. The reason 4x4's don't spin around like little clown cars is that they either slam into large snow embankments and get devoured, or else, they roll over and look ghastly. By contrast, the cute clown cars just spin around in fun and amusing ways...

It is nice to not have to shovel yourself out of a parking spot though... :)

But then again, what do I know. I drive a rear-engined rear-wheel drive manual-transmission convertible in the winter... and they don't even make snow tires for it. I wag the tail out of every icy turn and pull 20-30mph J-turns as necessary in parking lots and side streets. The other 8 months, the battery is pulled from the car and placed on a charger. During those months, it's motorcycle season. In those 8 months last year, I drove my car once. This year, I've vowed to drive it at least once a month. I really don't know how I'm going to fit it into my schedule though... maybe I'll take it grocery shopping or to a homebrew shop or something... but then again, two or three sacks of malt fit just fine on the bike...

Ford Ranger. Those things last forever, and they're just as functional as the Dakota but they're smaller. The mid-sized truck is an unnecessary segment IMO.

Whatever you do though, don't get the Dakota. The wife has one (a 2001) and it gives us nothing but problems. As was said earlier in this thread, Chrysler vehicles are more often than not unreliable.

4 wheel drive does not equal traction control, nor does it equal skid control. When the weather gets bad, I generally see a higher proportion of 4 wheel drives spun out. Most of the time around here when the weather gets bad, it's the guys in the 4x4's who are traveling the fastest. Well guess what... once you've gotten up to speed, the 4 wheel drive isn't going to help you any more... if you gotta brake or turn, you're just as susceptible to physics as everyone else... Personally, I'd rather find out that traction sucks while I'm accelerating than while I'm slamming on the brakes.

It is nice to not have to shovel yourself out of a parking spot though... :)

You can get around a hell of a lot better with a 4wd if you use common sense. I like the guys in 4wd's that go 70mph in a snow storm pulling a 20 ft snow mobile trailer with 5 sleds on it. I dont know how many of those I saw in the median this winter, I drive 400 miles a day in the weather so I saw a lot of ****** baggery in 4wd's

4wd doesn't equate to invulnerability, is what it is. Some people in 4wd and even big or tall rear wheel drive trucks think they can do anything and can't. The best 4wd in the world can't out power a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Oh, and 4wd is available in cars.

A big question would be, what do you need it for? Do you haul lots of stuff in the bed? Towing? Or do you just like to have a giant truck to commute in and never really need the cargo space? (seriously... I know more people who do that than anything)

Need should define form.

Looking at prices today, they can keep them all.

A 2009 Nissan Frontier with rear wheel drive, 6 cylinder and automatic (wife doesn't know manuals and I like autos) starts at around $21,000. A similar Dodge Dakota is around $24,000. Toyota Pre Runner, $22,000. Ford Ranger Sport, will top $20,000. Chevy Colorado, $20,000+ easily. Mitsubishi Raider is $21,000+ and I have no idea how well their trucks are. Isuzu doesn't seem to offer much in trucks for what I want. Suzuki Equator goes for over $21,000. Their motorcycles seem good. I like mine.

Maybe I'll get a wagon. A red one. With a handle in the front.

What are trucks coming to. Used to be a 1/2 ton pickup cost about the same as the average midsized sedan and a compact could be had for considerably cheaper. Interior was a vinyl bench seat and rubber flooring. Those were trucks. Todays vehicles are cars with beds. Except they drive more like a rough riding land yacht. Beds are nice if you use them on a regular basis. I use an enclosed space alot more often so i went with a van.

Sure you can get through more with a 4x4 but for 95+% of the population a car or van with decent tires will get you any where you need to go.

But why am I on this thread. I've never bought a truck and havn't driven one regularly since I lived with my parents on the farm. I ride a bicycle 90% of the time and own an old mini-van for utility. There's not much you can do with a compact pickup I can't do with the van + I can haul 7 people in comfort. But a van is not for someone who has to show how manly they are. :)

Craig

I have had a Ridgeline since 2006 and it is the best vehicle I have ever had. LOVE my truck. Ridgeline Owners Club

Sorry, but that is one of the worst looking vehicles I've ever seen - and that's comparing it to all of the other half-assed honda designs out there.

Honda copies other companies ideas (chevy avalanche anyone?) and intentionally softens the lines of their vehicles so it's more "appealing" to the masses.

To each their own, but regardless of all of the cliche reasons why people stick to honda I'll stay with chrysler and toyota.

I drive a F-250 Diesel.

I love my truck, its just exactly what I need, but I know for 95% of the rest of the country, it's either too much truck, or not enough truck.

Good luck picking out a truck.

I'm a fan of Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge.

Used to drive a 97 nissan king cab (the year before they were called frontier). I'd still be driving it if it hadn't been t-boned by a caprice. Even so, I kept driving it for another year (the caprice was totalled).

Currently drive an 05 ram 1500. I like it a lot and it's useful as hell (geology major = lots of offroading and gear hauling)... but I still miss the fuel efficiency of a smaller truck.

My dad drives nothing but tacomas and loves the hell outta them.

The best looking midsized pickup USED to be the Dakota. I have a 2000 and would never buy a new one because they look like ass. Then again, they were built like crap anyway. I replaced the rotors in 15k due to bad warpage, the leaf spring bushings also got squished out at about the same time too. I've always had a noisy ring and pinion too and the dealer said it was within spec...

Sorry, but that is one of the worst looking vehicles I've ever seen - and that's comparing it to all of the other half-assed honda designs out there.

Honda copies other companies ideas (chevy avalanche anyone?) and intentionally softens the lines of their vehicles so it's more "appealing" to the masses.

To each their own, but regardless of all of the cliche reasons why people stick to honda I'll stay with chrysler and toyota.

The finctionality of the Ridgeline is far ahead of most other trucks, dual tailgate, in bed trunk, Detroit never thought of this one.

I know everyone has their opinion, but the RL is a very good truck. Plus I am pretty sure Honda will be here next year I am not sure about any GM. Oh wait we are paying their bills, forgot that. :D

The finctionality of the Ridgeline is far ahead of most other trucks, dual tailgate, in bed trunk, Detroit never thought of this one.

I know everyone has their opinion, but the RL is a very good truck. Plus I am pretty sure Honda will be here next year I am not sure about any GM. Oh wait we are paying their bills, forgot that. :D

the ridgeline is not a truck, It may look slightly similar to one but it is basically a 4wd minivan with a bed. It is ok for light use but unibody + independent suspension != truck.

if you need to haul anything heavy or go off the road the ridgeline will not do.

please note that I am not bashing the ridgeline, it works for what it was intended to do. But if someone needs a truck, the ridgeline will not work.

the ridgeline is not a truck, It may look slightly similar to one but it is basically a 4wd minivan with a bed. It is ok for light use but unibody + independent suspension != truck.

if you need to haul anything heavy or go off the road the ridgeline will not do.

please note that I am not bashing the ridgeline, it works for what it was intended to do. But if someone needs a truck, the ridgeline will not work.

I will respectfully disagree. While I agree it is not a full size work type truck. It is just as solid as any midsize truck out there. I have carried a full size john Deere tractor in the bed and it can tow anything other trucks in it's class.

It is amazing in the snow and can do moderate off road as well. Don't bash what you have never driven. Well I assume you have not. I have converted many a sceptic of this vehicle.

Back