Buying a new Pistol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a video where a guy (Hickok45 i think), reviews the HiPoint C9. He lines it up with other comparable size pistols like the sig, glock, taurus, and he goes..
"this one will cost you about $700, this one about $500, this one about $250, and this one will cost you your dignity"

Edit: (added url)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNx0Ql2ZZw[/ame]

I couldn't stop laughing at it.

X2 - I love my LC9s with a laser.

I've also carried a Makarov in 380 and liked it.

If concealment is an issue, I carry my NAA 22 Mag 5 shot mini-revolver.

NAA_NAA-22m.jpg

That is a straight up neat gun.

Do you have the Gen4? Im intrested in the difference with that spring to the spring in the Gen3

Yeah, I have the Gen 4. Worst trigger of any gun I own. I've replaced the trigger bar--twice. Polished everywhere I can polish. Played with springs.

Only one word describes it: Ick.

Personally I'm not a Glock fan, but know others who I respect who like them. It's why I suggest people shoot before they buy. You just can't tell for sure. I'm a Springfield Armory XD man myself. And a 1911 man. Sig. Ruger. And a Glock. :)

I'm a pistol coach for a scholastic team and the only reason I have it is that Glock is generally what our shooters have--so I have one, too. The G19 feels good, it's a nice size, good capacity. Everything is great except how the trigger feels and how I shoot it.

Theres a video where a guy (Hickok45 i think), reviews the HiPoint C9. He lines it up with other comparable size pistols like the sig, glock, taurus, and he goes..
"this one will cost you about $700, this one about $500, this one about $250, and this one will cost you your dignity"

I couldn't stop laughing at it.

That's funny!

I used to own that pistol. I'd read online that some tweaks and fixes would allow it to run reliably, and how it looks--well, it is what it is. I decided it would be fun to see if I could make it behave.

I had it so it shot commercial and ball ammo just fine, but my own reloads it had some difficulty with. When I finally had this jam, I decided it was time for someone else to own it:

hipointjamsmall.jpg

hipointjamcloseup.jpg

It was all I could to do get that unjammed.

I hate all black plastic pistols with a passion. That said, every Glock I ever picked up was a good shooter. At the end of the game, the best pistol is the one you shoot the best. None are any good if you can't hit what your shooting at.

Shoot as many different guns s you can. Find what you shoot the best, buy it. It really doesn't matter what any of us think....you're the shooter.

Ha, too true.

A friend of mine bought a HiPoint handgun and carbine dirt cheap back in college (he had some money to blow and was desperate to own *any* gun). Another friend who had just enlisted in the Marines came home on leave and mocked him mercilessly when he found out. Once he had gotten fed up with all the jams and misfires, he couldn't find anyone willing to buy it off him. God, those were awful guns.

Today is range day.. the place I am going will rent me guns for $2 each to shoot in their indoor range as long as I buy their expensive ammo.

Im going to shoot that glock 19, the Ruger LC9s & SR9c, and the Shield 9mm. I will hopefully have time for one or two more. I think i hit most of the ones suggested more than once on here. Any other suggestions?

Today is range day.. the place I am going will rent me guns for $2 each to shoot in their indoor range as long as I buy their expensive ammo.

Im going to shoot that glock 19, the Ruger LC9s & SR9c, and the Shield 9mm. I will hopefully have time for one or two more. I think i hit most of the ones suggested more than once on here. Any other suggestions?

For purse carry, and the typical lint/dust heavy way that most women I know treat gun, I would recommend at least giving a J-frame smith or an LCR a look. The Hornady critical defense light ammo is purpose built as a match for small wheel guns in the hands of a small shooter, and works very well in them. I gave one to my 105lb sister, which she uses as her EDC. She had a hard time clearing any small automatics that she tried, making the wheel gun a better choice for her. If your wife has any issue at all clearing a simulated jam, I would go this route as well.

That's funny!

I used to own that pistol. I'd read online that some tweaks and fixes would allow it to run reliably, and how it looks--well, it is what it is. I decided it would be fun to see if I could make it behave.

I had it so it shot commercial and ball ammo just fine, but my own reloads it had some difficulty with. When I finally had this jam, I decided it was time for someone else to own it:

View attachment 327996

View attachment 327997

It was all I could to do get that unjammed.
I have one of these Hi-Points, and it fires every time I pull the trigger. It is heavy as hell, but works fine. I usually only fire 115g FMJ through it. Especially for the cost I have no complaints.
I prefer my FNX-9 but it cost about 4x more.

I apologize if this gun is already mentioned, but my wife wanted to start shooting over a year ago. Her first one was a S&W Model 642 .38. She still loves it. It's a hammer-less revolver.

Edit: She did NOT get the pink one! lol

Find a place that rents guns and let her shoot anything she wants. Don't buy her a gun YOU think she wants. Buy her a gun SHE wants. Let her pick. Maybe she likes a 45 instead of a 380. Maybe she wants a 9 because she's comfortable with it over a 40. Don't ask people on the Internet. Ask her what gun she likes and let her make the choice.

Springfield XD, smith and Wesson M&P, a full size 1911, a sig saucer 226/229 or 250. A snub nose s&w or Taurus revolver in double action, a subcompact glock, and spend more money on ammo than you think you should. $100 in ammo to find the gun you/she wants is cheaper than buying a $400 gun you/she hate(s).

As mentioned earlier, s&w 642 snubbie is a nice concealed carry weapon. I picked it for good combination of size (both for concealing and my smaller hands) and still handling 38 special +p rounds.

No Sig love in here?

I'm out.

Did you not read the response about two above yours saying to try a 226/229? They aren't for everyone. The new 250s have me curious about them but a lot of people don't like the lack of a safety or the slide release right where they put their thumb. I LOVE mine.

Edit:to the OP I would look at the 637 if you like a snub nose 38. It's double action but it has a bobbed hammer so you can practice shooting in single action. If you shoot 50 rounds of DA revolver out of that thing and want to keep going I'd be surprised. If you're still shooting round 43 like you shot 3 I'd also be surprised. Snub nose revolvers, as well as lots of compact firearms, are carried often and shot less. Yes people shoot them but not as often as their rifles or non-carry guns. This doesn't mean EVERYONE. There are people who will come in and tell you how they shoot a magazine/cylinder each time they go out. My question to them is "carry ammo or plinking ammo?" It makes a difference.

Only read a few posts but +1 on the Ruger SR9c. I own the SR40 and so does my dad but my sister has the SR9c and it is a nice little gun. All three have been fantastic and we have had zero issues at all.

Did you not read the response about two above yours saying to try a 226/229? They aren't for everyone. The new 250s have me curious about them but a lot of people don't like the lack of a safety or the slide release right where they put their thumb. I LOVE mine.

Nope, totally missed that. But if one would be considering something like a LCP, I would consider a P238 or P239. A little more heft to the frame will make it more managable.

As for me, I lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident. ;)

My two cents..
I really like the M&P 40c (or the 9 mm which is the same frame).
Adjustable back strap in three sizes fits many hands.
A buddy got the Karh PM9 and he really likes that,it's quite slim and compact.
As far as the LCP I wouldn't want to give that to anyone to learn to shoot,the pull on the trigger (safety Mechanism)n is awful,too easy to anticipate and pull the shot off target.
Sure you can get used to it but it's a total panic pistol.
I didn't read the whole thread but early on someone mentioned the Walther P22 ,aside from the lack of any stopping power this pistol is notorious for loading failures,jamming,etc..I get it to cycle about a 3rd of the time,it does slightly better w/ a hotter load but still is less reliable than a stick w/ a nail in it.
If you're thinking .22 look at a S&W model 351PD or C (the hammerless version of the 351pd) both are .22 Magnums w/7 rounds.

we ended up going to a range and renting/shotting 7 different pistols.. She really liked the shield and the SR9c.. so it will be either one of those that she wants. I was going to get her to shoot the Walther PPS but she didnt like the mag release.

She liked the way the glock shot but it was too fat for her. i liked the thickness of the glock and shot really well with it.. My uncle and I may order a custom one from Head Down Products.

Awesome! You guys are doing it right! A CC gun is only useful if you carry it and are not scared to fire it. I personally would love to carry a Shield 9mm. Love that gun, But's a little too big for everyday with my way of dressing and lifestyle. I just wouldn't carry as often. I carry an lcp because its better than nothing at all. However I'm a big guy with working hands so I can handle it. It's not the most accurate and it does sting a bit. All I can say is I rather have it on me when me or my family is in danger than nothing at all. But I applaud you for doing it right!

Awesome! You guys are doing it right! A CC gun is only useful if you carry it and are not scared to fire it. I personally would love to carry a Shield 9mm. Love that gun, But's a little too big for everyday with my way of dressing and lifestyle. I just wouldn't carry as often. I carry an lcp because its better than nothing at all. However I'm a big guy with working hands so I can handle it. It's not the most accurate and it does sting a bit. All I can say is I rather have it on me when me or my family is in danger than nothing at all. But I applaud you for doing it right!

so you can look at it like a condom... you would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I love my Glock 42 (.380). Some would call it under powered but it has almost no kick and is accurate as hell. I just carry a second mag on me to make up for the single stack. The concealability has coerced me to carry it every day, ad opposed to my m&p 9mm which I love but can't carry every day due to my build.

we ended up going to a range and renting/shotting 7 different pistols.. She really liked the shield and the SR9c.. so it will be either one of those that she wants. I was going to get her to shoot the Walther PPS but she didnt like the mag release.

She liked the way the glock shot but it was too fat for her. i liked the thickness of the glock and shot really well with it.. My uncle and I may order a custom one from Head Down Products.

That's perfect. Interesting how it all works out, isn't it? Now you know, and can make a choice from a position of knowledge, not supposition.

Just remember to keep shooting--pistol marksmanship is a perishable skill, and now the two of you will have an excuse to go do something else together.

And FWIW: you might consider a lesson or two from a skilled instructor. Learn it correctly at the get-go and you won't have to unlearn bad habits.

I didn't read the whole thread but early on someone mentioned the Walther P22 ,aside from the lack of any stopping power this pistol is notorious for loading failures,jamming,etc..I get it to cycle about a 3rd of the time,it does slightly better w/ a hotter load but still is less reliable than a stick w/ a nail in it.

RE: the P22, you're correct that a hotter load is the key with this one. My wife has one and loves it (it's pink! What's not to love?). We've always run CCI mini mags thru it and have never had any jamming issues. I think it's a cool little gun.

No Sig love in here?

I'm a big fan of Sig. For compact concealed carry, I have a P938. I'm a 1911 guy, so the P938 was a no-brainer for me, as it's SAO with a thumb safety (basically a 1911 w/o the grip safety). It comes out of the box with really nice night sights, which is a plus. I also don't care much for double action pistols, though I do own a couple. Well, at least I did before the boating accident that took my entire collection some time back.

Here's the P938 with its full size 1911 big brother...

WP_000040.jpg

I've always been curious how a .22 would perform as a defensive weapon. Most of the idea of "stopping power" is outdated(when it comes to hitting vital/semi-vital areas). Mostly I'd just curious about the effect of follow up shots vs. first shot kill. I would think in a frantic situation having higher magazine capacity, lower recoild and faster follow up shots would be more important than having higher caliber stopping power.

(not an argument, if you have read articles about this I'd be all about reading them too, heck my carry weapon once I get my conceal liscense will be a 1911 .45acp)

Ive always told the wife, if she's going to pull the trigger, keep pulling till it clicks. .22 is enough with a full magazine in a walther. I won't confirm or deny, but their might be a few rat shot rounds in the magazine. I like a higher magazine count, but I also might have a .380 as a back up.

Ive always told the wife, if she's going to pull the trigger, keep pulling till it clicks. .22 is enough with a full magazine in a walther. I won't confirm or deny, but their might be a few rat shot rounds in the magazine. I like a higher magazine count, but I also might have a .380 as a back up.

My main concern with .22LR is reliability. (One of the two loudest noises in the world is a "click" when you were expecting a "BANG!") The other concern is availability of ammo -- I haven't seen any .22 ammo for sale in over 2 years.

If you want a .22 for self defense, get a .25. The .25 ACP is actually a weaker round than .22LR, but it's a center-fire cartridge (reliable ignition) and it's designed for a short barrel.

My main concern with .22LR is reliability. (One of the two loudest noises in the world is a "click" when you were expecting a "BANG!") The other concern is availability of ammo -- I haven't seen any .22 ammo for sale in over 2 years.

If you want a .22 for self defense, get a .25. The .25 ACP is actually a weaker round than .22LR, but it's a center-fire cartridge (reliable ignition) and it's designed for a short barrel.

I love my MKIII but I get a lot of FTE or other gremlins. I haven't shot it enough to know if it's crappy ammo (shouldn't be) or what.

If I conceal, I usually stick with my Glock 27. But most of the time I let my wife keep it on her, so I usually have my 226 on me. I like the Shields a lot, especially being a single stack. With that said though, my next purchase may be a Glock 43. My buddy picked one up a while back as a backup weapon, and I may have fallen in love with it.

I've always read the .25 acp is the least reliable round imaginable.
There's multiple stories out there of shots bouncing off denim jackets or glancing of targets rather than penetration.

I really can't imagine why a .22 would be preferable over anything.

I've taught a lot of women to shoot, from 9mm to .45. Once they get the basics down with the 9mm, I usually ask them if they'd like to try the .45. Of course, they think they can't, but that's not the case. I tell them to be fundamentally sound, good grip, good trigger control, and guess what? They can handle it!

For other reasons it may not be the ideal weapon (ability to CC without printing, cost of ammo, and so on), but the whole idea that one has to shy away from recoil is wrong from the get-go. Only in a case where someone has an injury where they cannot handle a higher recoil gun would I ever suggest a .22.

If you're taught properly how to shoot, you can shoot anything up to a .45 effectively. And if you run scared of recoil (recoil is something to be treasured, enjoyed, and embraced!), then you're likely to never be a good shooter in any case. My 2 cents.

My wife carries usually a Glock27 (.040). Ive got her accustomed to the to recoil, but have also prefaced her that she isnt taking out a target 20 yds away. If she is using the weapon, its more likely going to be close and personal, and precise aiming isnt required. On the other hand, she loves shooting my 1911 R1. Mostly because it is a heavy weapon able to absorb a lot of the recoil. Round aside, the weapon you use also affects the shooter's ability to control the weapon.

I got in this late but the LCPs are too small for inexperienced shooters, the LC9s are a lot nicer and in that category there is the LC380 that is the same sized gun as the LC9. The LC9s are okay shooters. If you will get your wife to the range any of those plus the Shield you mentioned would be fine. If she isn't going to get to the range monthly, I would consider a revolver instead. No matter what best of luck and practice as much as you can. I don't like the safeties for a carry gun on the Glocks and clones, but that is me.

I got a good price on a Glock 19 Gen 3 Talo edition.. but im not really sure I understand what the Talo edition is. I haven't looked at it yet (its through a friend). But it looks like its just a coating and possibly some new sights?

I really can't imagine why a .22 would be preferable over anything.

I've taught a lot of women to shoot, from 9mm to .45. Once they get the basics down with the 9mm, I usually ask them if they'd like to try the .45. Of course, they think they can't, but that's not the case. I tell them to be fundamentally sound, good grip, good trigger control, and guess what? They can handle it!

For other reasons it may not be the ideal weapon (ability to CC without printing, cost of ammo, and so on), but the whole idea that one has to shy away from recoil is wrong from the get-go. Only in a case where someone has an injury where they cannot handle a higher recoil gun would I ever suggest a .22.

If you're taught properly how to shoot, you can shoot anything up to a .45 effectively. And if you run scared of recoil (recoil is something to be treasured, enjoyed, and embraced!), then you're likely to never be a good shooter in any case. My 2 cents.

.22s have their place. For young shooters they offer a properly sized weapon and recoil.

They also (used to) be a very inexpensive round to plink with, and offer their own challenges.

They can be used for extremely compact carry, which many people won't prefer, but in some cases is better than no carry.

Now I wouldn't choose one to carry, personally, but I'd entertain the idea of having one to take to the range for some cheap pinking, maybe once .22 ammo is readily available again.

I know my 15 yo daughter really enjoyed shooting my dad's old Ruger Super Blackhawk. She's smaller sized and the long barrel was difficult for her. I think she would really get a kick out of a more properly sized and balanced .22.

.22s have their place. For young shooters they offer a properly sized weapon and recoil.

They also (used to) be a very inexpensive round to plink with, and offer their own challenges.

They can be used for extremely compact carry, which many people won't prefer, but in some cases is better than no carry.

Now I wouldn't choose one to carry, personally, but I'd entertain the idea of having one to take to the range for some cheap pinking, maybe once .22 ammo is readily available again.

I know my 15 yo daughter really enjoyed shooting my dad's old Ruger Super Blackhawk. She's smaller sized and the long barrel was difficult for her. I think she would really get a kick out of a more properly sized and balanced .22.

I agree, shooting for fun is a different deal, and for cost and other reasons why not?

But for self-defense, no. Granted, a .22 is better than nothing, but so is a brick.

What follows is a teaching opinion, but it's one I think is reasonably well-grounded: when I see people want to start new shooters on .22 pistols, I just cringe. They think they're doing the new shooter a favor but in reality, IMO, they're teaching them to be afraid of recoil.

[I know sometimes this is to teach trigger control, but I think it can work as cross-purposes. I teach trigger control two ways: empty gun (double-check), balance a 9mm casing on the front sight, have them pull the trigger. When they can do that, proper grip and smooth trigger release, they have trigger control. No rounds expended, and it works. ]

With a proper grip, recoil in anything .45ACP or lower is more than manageable. When I teach new shooters who have never shot a gun, I start them on 9mm. I teach them proper grip, and when they're holding an empty gun (checked twice), I have them take a grip and try to pull the gun from their hand to show how hard they should be gripping it.

I have them watch me shoot 1-3 rounds, and I tell them to focus on the gun, not the target: watch what it does. It comes right back down after the muzzle flip, doesn't it? So if you have a good grip, recoil is managed.

I tell them recoil is something to be embraced and enjoyed; if the gun didn't move, neither would the bullet, and we should be focused on the target anyway, not the gun. Recoil is part of the fun, and if you are well-grounded in fundamentals, recoil won't matter to you.

IMO, people who want to "ease" shooters into this with a low-recoil .22 are telling the shooter that the other guns are harder to shoot, that recoil is an issue--it's all a lot of negative karma, IMO.

When I introduce new shooters to pistols, I have them load one round, and we place the target about 3 yards away. I want that first round on paper, so they can see the results of what they just did. I usually also take down that first target with one hole in it, so they can keep it.

And most often, that first round is right at or very close to the bullseye. That in itself is a very nice confidence booster, along with me praising their grip, aiming, whatever.

Nothing against .22s in a small rifle, or even in a pistol--but IMO, using that as a beginning gun is using it as a crutch.

My 2 cents, YMMV, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours even if I don't fully agree with it.

I agree, shooting for fun is a different deal, and for cost and other reasons why not?

But for self-defense, no. Granted, a .22 is better than nothing, but so is a brick.

What follows is a teaching opinion, but it's one I think is reasonably well-grounded: when I see people want to start new shooters on .22 pistols, I just cringe. They think they're doing the new shooter a favor but in reality, IMO, they're teaching them to be afraid of recoil.

[I know sometimes this is to teach trigger control, but I think it can work as cross-purposes. I teach trigger control two ways: empty gun (double-check), balance a 9mm casing on the front sight, have them pull the trigger. When they can do that, proper grip and smooth trigger release, they have trigger control. No rounds expended, and it works. ]

With a proper grip, recoil in anything .45ACP or lower is more than manageable. When I teach new shooters who have never shot a gun, I start them on 9mm. I teach them proper grip, and when they're holding an empty gun (checked twice), I have them take a grip and try to pull the gun from their hand to show how hard they should be gripping it.

I have them watch me shoot 1-3 rounds, and I tell them to focus on the gun, not the target: watch what it does. It comes right back down after the muzzle flip, doesn't it? So if you have a good grip, recoil is managed.

I tell them recoil is something to be embraced and enjoyed; if the gun didn't move, neither would the bullet, and we should be focused on the target anyway, not the gun. Recoil is part of the fun, and if you are well-grounded in fundamentals, recoil won't matter to you.

IMO, people who want to "ease" shooters into this with a low-recoil .22 are telling the shooter that the other guns are harder to shoot, that recoil is an issue--it's all a lot of negative karma, IMO.

When I introduce new shooters to pistols, I have them load one round, and we place the target about 3 yards away. I want that first round on paper, so they can see the results of what they just did. I usually also take down that first target with one hole in it, so they can keep it.

And most often, that first round is right at or very close to the bullseye. That in itself is a very nice confidence booster, along with me praising their grip, aiming, whatever.

Nothing against .22s in a small rifle, or even in a pistol--but IMO, using that as a beginning gun is using it as a crutch.

My 2 cents, YMMV, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours even if I don't fully agree with it.

To be fair, I did say "For the YOUNG shooter..."

Also, I think that NOT shooting a .22 is a good way to not shoot a .22 very well. As with everything else, practice is key, along with a properly sized gun.

.22s also make a fun small game load with the right gun and reasonable hunting expectations. If you get bored with a long gun, try squirrels and rabbits with an 8" .22 revolver.

And FWIW: you might consider a lesson or two from a skilled instructor. Learn it correctly at the get-go and you won't have to unlearn bad habits.

^^^^ THIS! Just because you can shoot holes in a paper target doesn't mean you're ready to carry. Some proper classes will teach you a lot more than just how to aim and fire.

The NRA curriculum is pretty good. I'd recommend their "Personal Protection Outside the Home" and "Personal Protection in the Home" classes. These are 16 hour (2 day) classes that are done both in the classroom and at the range.

Also, not all instructors are the same. Make sure you either get recommendations or find reviews on the instructors.

Back