Buying a Mill, Game Changer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
I live in BFE, getting supplies is a 40 min drive one way. Thinking of buying a mill to help make ingredient management easier. Figure I could store grains (not crushed) longer or order grains online with less sensitivity due timing. Do most homebrewers have a mill at home? Is it one of those game changing items or a must have?

Game changing.... No.
Efficiency changing... Yes..

Unmilled grains will keep for about a year if stored under the right conditions before they start to stale.
Also, when you get your mill look into malt conditioning... You wet the grains a bit before milling.... Less mess, better grain bed for less stuck sparges.

I'd say definitely worth the purchase.

I'd say game changer. Once you start buying in bulk you'll be happy you got one. Cheers

Love my mill. I buy base malts in bulk (usually have MO, 2 row and Pilsner) and then buy speciality malt as needed).

I like grinding the grain as my water is heating.

In my experience, having a mill is game changing if you BIAB. You can set your mill tighter and get a better crush that you need for for BIAB which your LHBS is not going to give you. For regular all grain brewing this is not so much of a consideration. However, as was mentioned, being able to buy a full sack of grain and mill as needed is a money saver in the long run. At least in my situation, buying a full sack of grain from my LHBS is far cheaper than what it would cost from the major online retailers after shipping costs are added in.

I’m 150 miles from my “Local” home brew store. A mill is nice. I buy 50# bags of 2 row. Plan out 3 or 4 brews ahead and buy yeast, hops and specialty grains. I don’t crush until I get around to actually brewing. You will enjoy having one.
Cheers

I think the consistency is the best part, and after you buy a few sacks it will pay for itself. Also it’s nice to brew whenever and not worry about how your going to get them milled.

It wasn't necessarily a total game changer, but I'd certainly recommend one. The crush is exactly what I want it to be based on my equipment, and I can crush when I want to. It was a great addition to my little brewery, and if you have some extra money - buy one and you won't regret it.

Game changing.... No.
Efficiency changing... Yes..

Unmilled grains will keep for about a year if stored under the right conditions before they start to stale.
Also, when you get your mill look into malt conditioning... You wet the grains a bit before milling.... Less mess, better grain bed for less stuck sparges.

I'd say definitely worth the purchase.
Grain conditioning is worth the time for sure. Apparently keeps tannins lower as well as a better Mash

Other than measuring equipment, there are two specialty devices that are must haves for me. Immersion chiller and grain mill.

I have an outstanding LHBS nearby and they would crush and separate the grains to my specs if I give them enough lead time. But I would much rather buy in bulk, and be the one person who is measuring out my recipe before it goes into my kettle. If someone is going to make a mistake on my beer, I want it to be me.

Back