Buying a kegerator but I'm overwhelmed on what I need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
I’m new to brewing. I just started this year and I now have 5 brews under my belt, all bottled, and I recently got the thumbs up to keg from my lovely wife. We are planning on having a cabinet built with a countertop against a wall that will hold a skinny wine fridge, a beer fridge and now a kegerator! We are going to buy the kegerator and not make one – I don’t have the time or skill to do this. I’ve researched kegerators (and keezers) but since I only have about 21” in width to work with I’m positive kegerator is the only way to go. Right now my head is spinning on what I need to get started. I’ve read so much here and now I’m just confused so please bear with me. I figure kegging using a corny is the way to go.

Are all kegerators equipped for both corny kegs and sankes? Or do I need to specifically order a kegerator for homebrews? I’m looking to keg my own beers and sometime have commercial beer. I see that a few come with the sanke coupler so that is obviously compatible for sanke kegs. Is it so simple that the gas lines just hook up to the cornies?

I’ve looked on amazon, walmalt, craigslist, wayfair, kegconnection, kegworks and beveragefactory for possible kegerators. I’m just overwhelmed on what I need to get started – I don’t want to buy a kegerator and not be able to hook up a corny keg when it’s equipped for a sanke! Do the gas lines just hook up easily to the cornies?

Any advice for someone without a clue? I know I need a regulator, gas lines etc, CO2 tank, corny keg, etc., a couple of min fans to cool the fridge but am missing something – do anyone buy a kegerator and need to buy something else because it didn’t come with it?

So you'll be doing either a single or double faucet I'd gather due to the 21" max width you have to work with? Either keg type fits inside, they come equipped typically for Sanke and from there you just cutoff the sanke attachment and connect a homebrew quick disconnect - I use the hose barb style which stays connected to the beer line and unscrews from the disconnect:

tn375_BLBO-MFL061115081208.jpg

I'm fairly certain that there are sanke couplers that can connect to this screw on barb so you can easily hookup a sanke keg. I've never used a sanke keg though in my kegerator so hopefully someone else can confirm this or correct me.

You seem to have everything figured out otherwise. I'd like to just recommend using longer than included beer line, I use 12' and have excellent foam free pours (just coil up the line to save space and lightly zip tie or twisty tie it together), and also better non-vinyl line. Two good options are PVC-free Ultra Barrier Silver (what I use): http://www.morebeer.com/products/ul...crobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html or Bev-Seal Ultra (what most people on here use): http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/accuflex-bev-seal-ultra-barrier-tubing-3-16-id-50ft-free-shipping/ The reason I recommend this is because of the nasty vinyl taste the lines imparted into my beer and that apparently many others have experienced.

*EDIT - oh, I'd also recommend going with a Taprite regulator if the place you order from includes one it's like a cheaper chinese regulator and they have a high failure rate. Ask to pay the upcharge to a Taprite.

*Second EDIT - just googled and found this Sanke to Quick disconnect adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C30F75I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

41y9kjlWDPL._SX425_.jpg

41QFO6lI3IL._SX425_.jpg

Rev.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Perlick forward seal faucets. Also, think ahead as to whether a single our double tap is your best bet.(I know space is a factor). I bought a lightly used 2 tap system and after 3 months Im thinking I may need a third tap.

I would recommend Perlick forward seal faucets.

Crap, how did I forget that!? Yes, totally agree, I got Perlick's right off the bat too after reading of the standard faucets sticking, sometimes even like they're glued shut.

Rev.

Ok - perlick faucet, longer tubing non-vinyl, taprite regulator, ball lock disconnects. Temp controller? I'll probably do a single or double tap - most likely single.

I have the thumbs up on starting to keg so I know I'll have to accumulate some of these parts over time.

Just food for thought, most people love cornies but I sold all mine in favor of kegging in sankes. I'll never go back. No need for two sets of taps if you planning on having homebrew and/or commercial brews.

The difference between built in and free standing is ridiculous. What did you guys do for venting? Did you buy little cooler fans?

Back