buy new hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
so its been about 3.5 weeks since i planted my hops. They have not come up yet. We have had frost two nights this week, but i dont think that would be the cause. I am an avid gardener so i feel like i know how to take care of a plant. Should i just assume they arent coming up? i planted 2 cascade, 1 chinook, and one centennial. id say the average temperature has been about 50 degrees over the lasat 3 weeks.

It's my first year growing as well so I don't really know.( mine are doing well here in ga, but I dug them up from an active patch), but i would doubt that you bought 3 different kinds and all of them are dead.

My first year as well. I think there is no reason to worry, just keep watering. It seems its been pretty cold for you. I averaged about 60 degrees and it took my chinook 4 weeks to pop up. I say as long as they looked healthy when you put em in, they'll all pop up.

Me three on the first year to grow. I put in two cascades. One sprouted within a week - the other nada. Southeast Texas has been consistently in the 70s - so I am assuming the non-sprout is a gonner. I'll hopefully be able to pick up a replacement at the LHBS tomorrow.

What is the ground temperature? My hops don't get going until the ground has warmed up to at least 55F.

I've planted my first year hops, Mt Hoods and Cascades, and the first 2 days were horribly overcast, snow flurries, and freezing rain. But the soil temperature was warmer then the outside temp, so I've just kept watering them. The soil dries up everyday, so everyday I give them a light watering to get it moist. I wouldn't really worry yet for you if it's been in the 50s. All I've been told about hops and cold weather is that it slows them down. Once it starts hitting the 60s and 70s consistantly for a little while they should start sprouting. At least I'm hoping so too!

its 80 degrees today and one of the cascades popped through! looks like ill just keep watering and see what happens.

I've got 3 different hills planted. 2 cascade and 1 fuggles, this will be the 3rd year for them and the fuggles have yet to produce a hop cone. They didn't come up at all the first year, last year they had about a foot of growth. This year they've already grown about 2 feet.
The cascade on the other hand produced 2 grocery sacks of cones last year. I'm expecting a better harvest this year.

Back