Butterscotch Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Communistjon

Reaction score
I found this Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer at Cracker Barrel and was wondering if it could be used in a mead. The ingredients are Sparkling filtered water, unbleached cane sugar, vanilla extract, natural caramel, natural flavors, stevia rebaudiana leaf extract. As far as I'm aware it shouldn't be a problem but just wanted to check with some more experienced people.

I'm about to attempt something similar. That flying cauldron is actually a knockoff of Universal Studios version of Harry Potter Butterbeer and that's my initial goal. I'm going to make a 5gal traditional and do different 1gal experimental batches with flavoring in secondary. I picked up butter flavor extract and rum flavor extract to experiment with.

So how will this be a mead? are you swapping the sugar for honey?

a few things to consider.

-sounds like there's a lot of sweetener going on here - might want to check your ratios so it doesn't end up being cloyingly sweet
-Your sparkling water will lose all carbonation when everything is said and done.
-You could consider caramelizing the honey instead of adding caramel to get the caramel flavor - otherwise, you'll probably want to make sure subtract the caramel from the honey to make sure you aren't adding too much sweetener. see item 1
- make sure your extracts really are all natural - some of them still have additives and preservatives that could cause problems.
-i would reconsider using stevia - personally, i think it has a very odd, unnatural, unpleasant flavor

Back