Butter nut squash wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewboz

Reaction score
So I started a garden this year and got way to many butternut squash to eat.. I mainly brew beer but thought it might be fun to turn them into wine? Anyone have any recipes for a 5 gallon batch??

Attachments

• 0825181355.jpg
    0825181355.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 0825181356a.jpg
    0825181356a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
No "recipe" for your squash but I make a marrow wine (zucchini) and use about 4 or 5 lbs of marrows per gallon. I boil the marrow with about 2.25 lbs of sugar / gallon (for an ABV of about 12%) for about 20 minutes and allow this to cool overnight then add pectic enzyme, ginger, (about 1 oz/gallon) tannin, some lemon juice and lemon peel, nutrient and (about 2 or 3 hours later ) - wine yeast and allow the wine to ferment on the vegetable for about 4 days after which I strain out the squash and rack the wine into a carboy and allow the fermentation to finish then age until clear and bright (about 3 -4 months). I usually stabilize and then backsweeten to about 1.010, then bottle. I allow the wine to age about 9 months to a year.

Last edited:
Five gallon bucket full smashed. Squash
Fill with water
Petic enzyme
Sodium bisulfate
Yeast nutrient
Acid blend

Cover 24hrs
Add 20# sugar stir.
Pitch yeast
Wait a week
Rack over a few times add water back to fill
Back sweeting if you choose.
Cheers

No "recipe" for your squash but I make a marrow wine (zucchini) and use about 4 or 5 lbs of marrows per gallon. I boil the marrow with about 2.25 lbs of sugar / gallon (for an ABV of about 12%) for about 20 minutes and allow this to cool overnight then add pectic enzyme, ginger, (about 1 oz/gallon) tannin, some lemon juice and lemon peel, nutrient and (about 2 or 3 hours later ) - wine yeast and allow the wine to ferment on the vegetable for about 4 days after which I strain out the squash and rack the wine into a carboy and allow the fermentation to finish then age until clear and bright (about 3 -4 months). I usually stabilize and then backsweeten to about 1.010, then bottle. I allow the wine to age about 9 months to a year.
That sounds really good!!

Five gallon bucket full smashed. Squash
Fill with water
Petic enzyme
Sodium bisulfate
Yeast nutrient
Acid blend

Cover 24hrs
Add 20# sugar stir.
Pitch yeast
Wait a week
Rack over a few times add water back to fill
Back sweeting if you choose.
Cheers
You made this?

Just skin and chunk the squash up. The petic enzyme will break down enough juice for the flavor profile. The sugar and water are making wine. Not much sugar in squash for 14%abv wine. After you rack the liquid off the squash In the primary 5gal bucket fermintation into a carboy you should have close to 4gals of liquid.
Add a gallon of water to get the carboy full. Or grape juice. Or apple juice. Or Brandy. Or burbon or vodka.
Let this sit with an air lock for a month. Then rack it off the less again. Then again after another month. Then bottle or store.

If you want to back sweeten the wine. We can walk through that process. Cheers

Just skin and chunk the squash up. The petic enzyme will break down enough juice for the flavor profile. The sugar and water are making wine. Not much sugar in squash for 14%abv wine. After you rack the liquid off the squash In the primary 5gal bucket fermintation into a carboy you should have close to 4gals of liquid.
Add a gallon of water to get the carboy full. Or grape juice. Or apple juice. Or Brandy. Or burbon or vodka.
Let this sit with an air lock for a month. Then rack it off the less again. Then again after another month. Then bottle or store.

If you want to back sweeten the wine. We can walk through that process. Cheers
So just use whatever squash I have doesn't matter how many pounds then fill to the 5 gallon mark with water? Does it need to be cooked first? It would be hard to smash it in uncooked... I am willing to use this recipe it sounds promising. I'm sure I could just wing it as well and use this as a guideline

wondering what to compare this recipe to, sounds interesting but i cant imagine what it would taste like.

what would this be similar too?

wondering what to compare this recipe to, sounds interesting but i cant imagine what it would taste like.

Check this recipe out. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques67.asp but yeah I'm a little worried it would turn out gross. I could try to follow a pumpkin wine recipe also again kinda thinking it would turn out uhh gross. I supposed it would be something that needs to sit in a bottle for a very long time

I just have a huge box of squash that I grew and need to do something. With them haha. I already gave a ton away

Just my experience with a heavy desert fruit wine. If I raw chunk up the fruit and let's say fill the bucket up to a invisiabe 4gal mark. Add petic enzyme and ingredients, water and cover for 24hrs. Then pitch the yeast right on top. Cover back for 7 days it breaks down the fruit well. Then rack all the juice over. You will be left with around a gal of less or used up fruit. When you rack this juice into a carboy, fill the blank space up in the carboy with what ever you wish as long as it is sterile and real without preservatives. If you choose the liquer route the alcohol will pretty much stop the fermintation. Which is fine if you want a sweeter wine that is potent.
Look up EC kraus wine recipes. They will walk you through this style of wine making. You can tweak as you please for flavor profiles.

Can't speak to winter squash but zucchini wine has a fresh fruity taste - nothing like the squash itself and not like berry or citrus fruit
Check this recipe out. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques67.asp but yeah I'm a little worried it would turn out gross. I could try to follow a pumpkin wine recipe also again kinda thinking it would turn out uhh gross. I supposed it would be something that needs to sit in a bottle for a very long time

My zucchini wine didn't need to sit for any length of time. After a couple of months it was really very good. Tasted a little like a sauternes wine, not at all like zucchini. Winter squash wine might taste very different but then pumpkin beer is all about the spices, isn't it, and very little about the flavor from the squash?

Back