Burping Conical Fermenter w/CO2 During Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punk_Rock

Reaction score
I have heard of commercial brewery's burping their fermenters with CO2 a day or so after dry hopping. This re suspends the hops in the beer to maximize the dry hop utilization. This seems like a good idea to really get that great hop aroma. I was wondering if anyone is doing this with their homebrew and what is your setup.
I currently have a SS Brewtech half barrel conical. I am guessing you would some how connect the CO2 to the yeast dump valve on the conical. I'm just looking for any advise.

How much pressure (I know it needs to be under 5 psi)?
For how long?
How often?
If its worth the trouble?

Thanks,

Well, I guess not many brewers are doing this, I will experiment and post my results.

Thanks,

There is another reason this could be beneficial and that's to purge any O2 that was trapped in the hops and released after being submerged in the wort from the head space.

I have read recently about a commercial brewer (don't recall the name) who is obsessive about preventing any O2 exposure in his IPAs to maximize hop utilization.

I'm sure you could rig up a fitting that would connect to your racking port to accomplish it. After you get the fitting rigged up, I would set your regulator on 3-5 psi, open the valve on your regulator to pressurize the line (and prevent any wort from back flowing into your CO2 line) then open & close the racking port valve for a couple of short 2 second bursts. You wouldn't need much.

OK, I made a video of how I am burping the conical fermenter with CO2. After the beer is ready I will let you know how it came out. I also want to brew the same batch again so I can compare side by side.

Thanks for all the reply's.

https://youtu.be/QOn5owOt2h4

Latest posts

Back