Burner too good to be true????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow...$7.99 yeah, this sounds to good to be true, yet my 110,000 BTU burner isnt much bigger than 3" in diameter.
very cool Find!

you should pick one up and let us know how it works out :) That price is KILLER!

EDIT: Ahh...I looked a bit further, obviously it doesnt come with a regulator, the one that they recommend is 15 bux (not bad at all) but it only delivers 0-5 PSI, I believe the regulator that is in common use with Homebrew burners will go up to 10 PSI....Maybe just pick up a regulator elsewhere.?

wow...$7.99 yeah, this sounds to good to be true, yet my 110,000 BTU burner isnt much bigger than 3" in diameter.
very cool Find!

you should pick one up and let us know how it works out :) That price is KILLER!

And it works fine?

That's the burner that most people start using. It comes standard with most store bought turkey fryers. They work and they keep working. The downside for some is that they are fairly loud and can be ineffecient.

As far as the burner goes, its plenty fine IMO. That's the only burner I have ever used.

That site has been floating around these boards for a while now.

Edit;
I found that tuning the flame, will quiet down the burner to a hissing sound and boil just fine.

That's the burner that most people start using. It comes standard with most store bought turkey fryers. They work and they keep working. The downside for some is that they are fairly loud and can be ineffecient.

I don't think so bro. The bayou classic turkey fryers are 55,000 btu, this one's 170,000

I use two of these these on my stand. I have broken one, so be gentle with it. I don't know if I agree with the 170,000 btu they list. I have a bayou classic as well, and they look and heat the exact same. For 8 bucks, they work great. Loud as hell though, even with tinkering. I have two burners piped together and I go through 20lbs of propane every 3-3.5 brews.

Yeah, I have a little difficulty understanding how they're advertising that particular burner at 170,000 btu's. I have two and can't see them even getting close to that.

by the looks of that burner its going to max out at 75k btu. i'm not saying that its not the advertised 170k, but it doesn't look right.

if you get 170kbtu from that burner its going to sound like a jet engine

The BTUs are determined by the regulator, not the burner. A 5 psi reg is not going to give 170,000 btu. A 10 psi reg is only good for up to 55,000 BTU. If you want the max from that burner, you need a 20 psi reg.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/propane_regulator_kit.htm

Right!! That's why the adjustable regs run up to 23 psi. The burner means nothing. It can only burn what its fed.

You other folks also have to look at the efficiency factor here. When you direct fire a kettle you are only going to get about 25% efficiency.

I don't think so bro. The bayou classic turkey fryers are 55,000 btu, this one's 170,000

Bayou Classic sells many different turkey fryer models, with many different BTU ratings. The burner you linked is the same one found on the Bayou classic model SP10 turkey fryer, which is a popular model rated bewteen 170,000 and 185,000 BTU's depending on who you believe. Bayou Classic SP10

As others have mentioned, that burner sounds like a jet engine, requires a high pressure regulator to get the rated BTU's, and is less efficient than some other burners, but still works fine for brewing. I have one with a 20psi reg, and if cranked all the way up it can bring 10 gal of water to a boil in no time at all. As GreenMonti said, the flame can be tuned to minimize noise and maximize efficiency.

I'll tell you, had I found this http://www.agrisupply.com/cooker-stand/p/40322/c2p/cs/ before I got too deeply into my electric build I'd likely have bought a couple of them and stayed propane-powered.
But, I'm glad I didn't really because the electric will allow mw to stay inside during the winter and be pretty comfortable instead of dealing with cold and snow outside.

i've been using this burner for a long time. it has worked admirably for me the whole time. the only gripe i have with it is that the flame is intermittent at times, but that's probably my fault for never cleaning it out or trying to adjust anything on it. but for 7.99, i don't really care.

My buddy found this:
http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-high-pressure-burner/p/30295/c2p/cs/
It's a 170,000 btu, but it's only 4 inches in diameter. What do you'll think?
I'm thinking it would work for the HLT and MLT? But the kettle???

I looked at those burners too, but check out the shipping and handling charges from those guys and delivered price won't look that great. It's a nasty online store trick where they make all their money on the shipping and handling charges while posting incredibly low item prices to lure you to their sight from the search engines.

i have the exact same burner on my fryer that I use for boiling, with a 10psi regulator and it brings 3 gallons of water to a rolling boil in 10-15 minutes. I dont know the BTU but it works MUCH better then any stove I have ever used.

The shipping on just one of those cast iron burners from agrisupply.com is $6.00 which brings it to $13.99...still cheaper than other sites price on just the burner. It's $11.50 shipping for one banjo burner. At $29.95 + shipping, it brings them to about the same price without shipping as the some other sites. I need three which actually brings the shipping costs down to $29.50 total shipping on three banjo burners. I don't see handling charges anywhere. Overall, you're still probably saving a few bucks ordering from agrisupply.com.

Back