Burner recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am working in a 50 gallon system, yet I have been unable identify a suitable burner. I dont think that even the Hell Fire will be able to bring to boil 40 gallons of wort in a suitable amount of time (20-30 min).

I was thinking in a 20 - 32 jet nozzle NG burner.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Nil :mug:

For NG I think the wok burners are the only way you're going to get the BTU's ya need. Banjo burners will put out 210,000 Btus on propane
, but that's expensive and a PITA to always fill tanks. For any kind of gas burner though, I would try to build some kind of skirt around the kettle to minimize heat loss. A buddy and I have a 50 gallon set up and went electric, and never looked back.

I use the 20 tip NG Wok burners on a 20 gallon system (15 gallons of wort). A 20--30 minute window is a pretty high set of expectations to bring 40 gallons to a boil with one of those 32 tip burners, but it's probably your best bet.

I start mine at about half way open when I'm about half way done with my second runnings. That gives me enough time to clean my mash tun and have about 5--10 minutes of keeping an eye on the boil. When I am done cleaning, I open it up to about 90% until I see the bubbles. Then, I back it way off as the boil starts to avoid a boil over. When that subsides, I open it up gradually to 40% or so.

In other words, I'm trying to time things right rather than get to a boil as quickly as humanly possible. And when I do get there, I'm finessing things to avoid a mess.

Latest posts

Back