burner questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firry15

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a few burner questions. Please help

I brew with a 5 gallon pot. what btu would you recomend for a burner?

Secondly, Are these burners dangerous. Is it safe to use indoors? I am always hearing about turkey fryer fires. i dont want to be that guy.

Thanks in advance

I am new to this too, but please do not use these burners inside............maybe in a concrete basement or something with a fire extinguisher close at hand maybe, but then you may want to look at the ventilation

Not recomended indoors, although it has been done w/ ventilation and co detectors. The danger w/ turkey fryers is the gallons of hot oil that can become fuel, especially if overheated!

I'm going to be running a hurricane burner inside when I finish my brewpub remodel and it is 60k BTU I think. Have you ever been inside a really small Chinese restaurant? They use several 100k+ BTU burners in a very small area but use the proper ventilation. I have a friend of mine who builds for a living managing my remodel project and his gas guy said that 60k BTUs is nothing that a standard kitchen vent hood couldn't ventilate properly.

Are you planning on bringing an LP tank inside? That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, so to speak. CO2 is one thing, explosive gases are another.

I often let loose explosive gases indoors. But they are ..uh.. organic gases.

I brewed a few times in the garage with propane an the garage door open a foot. Also had a CO detector. Don't think I'd bring in one of those burners unless it was mounted permanently (not just a cheap stand) and had a vent hood.

I brewed a few times in the garage with propane an the garage door open a foot. Also had a CO detector. Don't think I'd bring in one of those burners unless it was mounted permanently (not just a cheap stand) and had a vent hood.

I do that all the time. Typically the only ignition source is the burner itself in the garage and it's elevated above the level of the open door. In a house the gas will pool in a low area and begin to creep along the floor. If it hits a spark from a pump or a pilot light, it will flash. The flash is notoriously unpleasant. Especially if it causes your house to move a little off the foundation.

I do that all the time. Typically the only ignition source is the burner itself in the garage and it's elevated above the level of the open door. In a house the gas will pool in a low area and begin to creep along the floor. If it hits a spark from a pump or a pilot light, it will flash. The flash is notoriously unpleasant. Especially if it causes your house to move a little off the foundation.

Cool. ;)1234...

Just don't use LP indoors unless you have the proper ventialtion hoods installed, otherwise you won't have the ability to finish the beer you are trying to brew because you'll be unconscious, if not dead.

Back