Burner Question- 15 Gal Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
I just purchased a 15 gal Spike Brewing Kettle- I beautiful piece of equipment!!

My burner with my old 8 gal. worked fine-
However not sure it is enough for this size kettle- which I hope to do 10 gallon batches with in the future.

I did a test run with 5 gals. of tap water starting at about 55 degrees.
The Burner, which is a few years old now says it can generate 45,000 BTU's

It took 17 minutes to reach 160 degs.
Another 10 minutes to reach boiling or a total of 27 minutes.

That is just with 5 gallons!!

So the question is: is that about right?
Is there a need to upgrade my burner too?

I have read that a BC, SQ 14 is popular and there KAB4.

AIH. has a nice one too: http://www.homebrewing.org/14-Propane-Burner--220000-BTU_p_1190.html

So anyone advice would be welcomed- Brewing nest week end!!!

Cheers!!\

If you're going to upgrade your burner you cannot beat the quality & efficiency of the Blichmann. It's one of the first pieces of equipment I bought over four years ago when I got started & I haven't regretted it.
Quiet, too!

+1 for the Blichmann floor burner. Though, it is a bit pricey, it is what I use for my 15 gallon kettle. I've used it to boil over 10 gallons of wort and it handled it with no issues and that was using NG, which burns a little cooler than LPG.

A less expensive alternative would be a BC KAB4 or KAB6 Banjo Burner. Both use the same cast iron burner as the Blichmann without the costly SST outer shell you get with the Blichmann. Both can also be converted to NG with the Blichmann conversion kit if you ever think you may want to go that route in the future. As far as what separates the KAB4 and KAB6, the KAB6 chassis is a bit larger and more robust in construction than the KAB4, even though they use the same burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the Blichmann floor burner. Though, it is a bit pricey, it is what I use for my 15 gallon kettle. I've used it to boil over 10 gallons of wort and it handled it with no issues and that was using NG, which burns a little cooler than LPG.

A less expensive alternative would be a BC KAB4 or KAB6 Banjo Burner. Both use the same cast iron burner as the Blichmann without the costly SST outer shell you get with the Blichmann. Both can also be converted to NG with the Blichmann conversion kit if you ever think you may want to go that route in the future. As far as what separates the KAB4 and KAB6, the KAB6 chassis is a bit larger and more robust in construction than the KAB4, even though they use the same burner.

+1 I couldn't have said it better.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the best to purchase the blichman?...
If I go that route, need by Friday pm...
Thanks for the input

I believe all the online retailers have the burner drop-shipped directly from Blichmann, so getting it by the end of the week will be hit or miss. If you have a LHBS, you might want to try there first. When I was shopping for mine, I also found that all the usual online brewing supply outlets would not ship it under their flat-rate shipping rates. Most wanted about $17 or so to ship. The only exception I found was learntobrew.com. They have free shipping if your order is over $100 and that includes all the Blichmann products. I don't remember how long between ordering and receiving, but I think it was about a week.

Another +1 for a Blichmann burner. Yes, it is expensive. In my opinion it is more than worth it.

Nice...I have three of em and they work great dude. They're pretty too. 🙇

Nice...I have three of em and they work great dude. They're pretty too. 🙇

Yes, a nice hunk of stainless can be pretty. I especially like when the little rainbows start to appear in the steel from the heat. They just look cool.

Got the Burner Today and set it up- very , very nice.

Question- I followed the directions and the Blichman Video with adjusting the air, I still have a occasional yellow spot, is that normal of do I need to fiddle some more?

If you're seeing random tiny plumes flicker yellow on occasion it could just be bits of manufacturing debris working its way out - even a tiny iron machining particle will flash. Could even be contaminants in the gas cylinder. Otoh if larger regions of the burner go yellow frequently you probably want to tweak the air damper to tune that out.

fwiw, my air dampers are set at the 50% level and I haven't changed them in years. It's hard to describe the burn pattern beyond "nearly all blue with the tiniest yellow tips" but if it was a large kitchen stove burner you'd be happy with it. Very clean...

Cheers!

nearly all blue with the tiniest yellow tips is what I have...so must be in the ball park.
Thanks!

Back