Burner: How does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillbrook

Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting into AG brewing now, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this burner/pot setup from crappy tire....

Here's the link.

Comes with a 30 qt aluminum pot; doesn't say how many BTUs the burner pushes...

well my canadian friend, we cant use that link cuz it asks for a postal code and our zip codes wont work

My guess is it's a basic turkey fryer set up. It can work, but a bigger pot, say closer to 10 gallons would make it easier. My next expansion is to a bigger brew pot.

Hello,

There are two things to consider....

1) The strength of the weld on this set-up....I saw a photo on this site where one of a similar design buckled. You would have to inspect it first to see if its ok.

2) Size of wort -30 qts = 7.5 US Gallons. If you are going to make 5 G batches, you would have somewhere in the area of 6.5 gallons to be reduced to about 5G. Thats not much space to prevent boilovers -especially when adding hops. It can be done, but you would need to be really careful.

Its really hard to find a bigger pot - but would be worth the search if time and money permit.

You can also do a search here on "BTU" or "Cooker" to see what others have suggested about similar designs in the past.

PS - I thought Niagara guys only drank wine ;-)

Cheers.

Chillbrook said:
So I'm looking at getting into AG brewing now, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this burner/pot setup from crappy tire....

Here's the link.

Comes with a 30 qt aluminum pot; doesn't say how many BTUs the burner pushes...

Dude, the link didn't come through. But I am guessing you were referring to the Country Cooker turkey fryer setup for $69? I have been watiching that setup too. The system actually looks really good. The pot is only 30 qt, but it is very well made (thick, good handles, pouring spout). The burner seems decent, and I think it is 85,000 BTU.

If you get one, let us know how it turns out. I am seriously looking at one, unless I can get a keggle and a burner cheap.

PS - the price is good, and if the buner is sturdy, you can always find use for the pot for heating sparge water even if you upgrade on the kettle later on.

Cheers.

0851119_160_CC_3d2f9.jpg

Multi-Purpose Propane Cooker with Accessories

$69.99

Product #85-1119-2

* Multi purpose cooker - great for seafood boils, soups, sauces and turkey frying
* 30-quart aluminum pot and lid included
* Stable four-leg design with cast-iron burner
* Includes long stem deep fry thermometer, marinade injector and turkey lifter
* Fries up to an 18-pound turkey
* Embossed oil-fill lines and lid included

Orpheus said:
0851119_160_CC_3d2f9.jpg

Multi-Purpose Propane Cooker with Accessories

$69.99

Product #85-1119-2

* Multi purpose cooker - great for seafood boils, soups, sauces and turkey frying
* 30-quart aluminum pot and lid included
* Stable four-leg design with cast-iron burner
* Includes long stem deep fry thermometer, marinade injector and turkey lifter
* Fries up to an 18-pound turkey
* Embossed oil-fill lines and lid included

Thanks Orpheus, that's the one! Sorry to everyone else about the link, had a feeling it wasn't going to work....

Anyone have experience with this?

Flyguy, is this the one you were eyeing?

I know a lot of people say 7.5 gallons is the minimum size pot one should use, but I'm willing to watch it for boilovers...

Chillbrook said:
Anyone have experience with this?

Flyguy, is this the one you were eyeing?

Yes, that's the one. I had a look at it in the store. Honestly, the pot itself is worth $69. The burner looks reasonably sturdy, but not particularly well made. The one I had out of the box didn't seem to sit perfectly on the floor (the four legs weren't all the same length, so it wobbled a bit).

Anyways, I was going to get it regardless, but then I found just the burner dirt cheap ($25), and was thinking of getting a keggle instead of a pot. I am still a bit worried that a 30 qt pot is a touch too small. I am sure it would be fine -- I probably just worry too much (at least that's what SWMBO tells me!).

Oh, I should also mention that the store near me had two pallets of them on the display floor 2 weeks ago. Made me think that they were getting ready to put them on sale for Easter or something. That's another reason I didn't buy one yet, just in case I am right. I try not to buy ANYTHING from Crappy Tire unless it is on sale. Sometimes they have amazing deals on things.

FlyGuy said:
Yes, that's the one. I had a look at it in the store. Honestly, the pot itself is worth $69. The burner looks reasonably sturdy, but not particularly well made. The one I had out of the box didn't seem to sit perfectly on the floor (the four legs weren't all the same length, so it wobbled a bit).

Anyways, I was going to get it regardless, but then I found just the burner dirt cheap ($25), and was thinking of getting a keggle instead of a pot. I am still a bit worried that a 30 qt pot is a touch too small. I am sure it would be fine -- I probably just worry too much (at least that's what SWMBO tells me!).

Oh, I should also mention that the store near me had two pallets of them on the display floor 2 weeks ago. Made me think that they were getting ready to put them on sale for Easter or something. That's another reason I didn't buy one yet, just in case I am right. I try not to buy ANYTHING from Crappy Tire unless it is on sale. Sometimes they have amazing deals on things.

Eh I know what you mean, I wasn't planning on buying it for a few weeks, at least.... so let me know if you see it go on sale, I'll do the same for you.

I don't think a wobbly base is a problem, there are easy rememdies for that, no?

Next I just need to find a nice cooler for mashing....

Chillbrook said:
Eh I know what you mean, I wasn't planning on buying it for a few weeks, at least.... so let me know if you see it go on sale, I'll do the same for you.

I don't think a wobbly base is a problem, there are easy rememdies for that, no?

Sure -- sounds good. I will be sure to let you know if I see them on sale.

And yeah, the wobbly base is no big dea -- I just wonder if it is an indication of overall poor quality. I don't think so, honestly.

And I would go for either a 36 qt Coleman Extreme cooler (if you are batch sparging) or a 10 gallon round beverage container (see my sig for details on what I put together a couple weeks ago).

Cheers :mug:

FlyGuy said:
Sure -- sounds good. I will be sure to let you know if I see them on sale.

And yeah, the wobbly base is no big dea -- I just wonder if it is an indication of overall poor quality. I don't think so, honestly.

And I would go for either a 36 qt Coleman Extreme cooler (if you are batch sparging) or a 10 gallon round beverage container (see my sig for details on what I put together a couple weeks ago).

Cheers :mug:

Yeah, just yesterday I read through that thread of yours... but I still don't see the difference between 'batch sparging' and regular mashing (as seen on howtobrew.com).....

Chillbrook said:
Yeah, just yesterday I read through that thread of yours... but I still don't see the difference between 'batch sparging' and regular mashing (as seen on howtobrew.com).....

There is a LOT of information on this site about different sparging techniques. Hunt around a bit, and if you are still unsure, let me know and I can easily send you some URLs to good articles.

Mashing techniques are something different, although the choice of mashing technique sometimes depends on your intended method of sparging and/or your equipment.

I decided to go with a simple system -- I only brew ales, so a single-infusion mash and batch sparging routine was the easiest and simplest way to go. In this method, you require very little equipment, and the technique is very straightforward. But I think it really just boils down to personal choice and what you learn.

FlyGuy said:
There is a LOT of information on this site about different sparging techniques. Hunt around a bit, and if you are still unsure, let me know and I can easily send you some URLs to good articles.

Mashing techniques are something different, although the choice of mashing technique sometimes depends on your intended method of sparging and/or your equipment.

I decided to go with a simple system -- I only brew ales, so a single-infusion mash and batch sparging routine was the easiest and simplest way to go. In this method, you require very little equipment, and the technique is very straightforward. But I think it really just boils down to personal choice and what you learn.

Sounds good, I'll keep snoopoing around and reading as much as I can....

If you have any links regarding the method you chose - simple sounds like my style, as I'm working on a students budget and time table - then send them my way! I'd appreciate it....

In the mean time, I'll keep my eye on cooler/burner sales.

Chillbrook said:
If you have any links regarding the method you chose - simple sounds like my style, as I'm working on a students budget and time table - then send them my way! I'd appreciate it.....

How to Brew is a great general reference. Read all the sections on AG brewing. Here are some additional ones that detail batch sparging, since it is not mentioned much in the online version of HtB (note: in the latest hardcopy addition, John Palmer has more on batch sparging).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Home_Brewing_Process

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/BatchSparging.htm

I bought that exact one a few weeks ago, the burner is 85,000 BTU and works pretty decent.. the pot is too small if you're planning on doing 23L batches though (5 IMP gallons). I split my boil and still managed to boil it over a bit (first AG hehe). I've found a few larger pots... Russel Food Equipment (http://www.russellfood.ca/) has a 40qt aluminum pot for $54 CAD that looks like a decent option as well.... but its almost the exact same diameter (pot is just slightly larger) as the outer ring on the burner, so it will be fairly unstable. I plan on building a keggle and modifying the burner frame and just using the pot to heat sparge water.

BeerBaron said:
I bought that exact one a few weeks ago, the burner is 85,000 BTU and works pretty decent.. the pot is too small if you're planning on doing 23L batches though (5 IMP gallons). I split my boil and still managed to boil it over a bit (first AG hehe). I've found a few larger pots... Russel Food Equipment (http://www.russellfood.ca/) has a 40qt aluminum pot for $54 CAD that looks like a decent option as well.... but its almost the exact same diameter (pot is just slightly larger) as the outer ring on the burner, so it will be fairly unstable. I plan on building a keggle and modifying the burner frame and just using the pot to heat sparge water.

Damn! Not what I wanted to hear....

Chillbrook said:

Hey Chill -- that turkery fryer is on sale now -- $49 bucks for the whole kit. Check it out.

For $65, Amazon is selling the Banjo Cooker. 210,000 BTUs with a very heavy duty stand that can handle pots up to 120 quarts. That's with free shipping and no tax..:rockin:

B0009JXYQY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mine arrived today and I'm stoked. This sucker really puts out :D. I'll post a video of it in action after Youtube gets done processing it.

EdWort said:
For $65, Amazon is selling the Banjo Cooker. 210,000 BTUs with a very heavy duty stand that can handle pots up to 120 quarts. That's with free shipping and no tax..:rockin:

Ah -- I wish us poor Canadians had access to Amazon.com like you do. We have Amazon.ca, which is like Amazon.com circa 1995. Only books. If we order from Amazon.com, we pay international shipping, duty, taxes, exchange, etc. That $65 burner would end up being $130 easy. I am envious Ed!

Chillbrook said:
Still debating whether or not this is worth it...

Check out the thread in DIY to see what I mean...
I replied in the DIY thread but just to reiterate, I have this kit that I use for my AG brews (though I have a 40QT kettle to supplement). The 30QT pot this comes with is terribly thin metal. The burner itself is fantastic, I would get it just for that. The 30QT makes a great sparge water kettle.

bradsul said:
I replied in the DIY thread but just to reiterate, I have this kit that I use for my AG brews (though I have a 40QT kettle to supplement). The 30QT pot this comes with is terribly thin metal. The burner itself is fantastic, I would get it just for that. The 30QT makes a great sparge water kettle.

Well I went out today and bought it; couldn't pass up a deal like this (and I have 90 days to return it).

Now on to the mash tun...

Back